K12 vs DXR 12 and DXR12 vs DSR12

• Members

Ok, its the (add musical track) final countdown... As my first post... Let me say in adavance thank you for your input. I am buying a pair of 12's. I have personally heard the k10's but want to go up a size. 

To me specs and design on the k12 and DXR12 are near matched, especially since specs are on paper not virtual... to me they both spot similar power, heavey duty plastic encasements and great reputable names.

The DSR adds wood, a little more power, and a more rugged finish that may not show wear like the plastic will. but here is the real question, brand preferrence aside... if you had $2000 to spend on one of these 3. which one would you go with? Why one over the other... I know there are others on the market, but this is the 3 I am able to get my hands on.

Primarily used for church, acoustic music, occasionall sporting events such as sand vollyball tournaments, and plugging an ipod in... outdoor audience of 50-200. also have an allen and heath Zed60-14fx to mix.

If you have personally heard these side by side, tell me what you heard, what you would eliminate and what you would go with... Thanks. Hope to hear from "Al" too because I saw you review these speakers.

Thanks. -Wes

• Members

The DSR12 is the loudest of the bunch and has the best (most durable) finish BUT no mixer section and the top end is a little too forward, although it can be eq'd out. Low frequencies are OK, but the DSR115 hits much harder and deeper. I prefer the voicing on the DXR series for playback music myself, while the more powerful horn on the DSRs might be an asset for live music.

K12 and DXR12 are both excellent and comparable, although the DXR has the lower price tag. I prefer the top end on the DXR a little, especially at higher levels where I find the K horn gets a little harsh, but honestly I would be happy to use either DXR or K as their overall performance is really similar. Warranty on all of these cabs is phenomenal - and they are all great speakers. If you don't plan on using a sub or subs, I highly recommend moving up to the DXR15. Still only 49lbs and surprisingly compact for a 15" active, but the extended lower frequencies make them sound fuller at higher levels. 

Al 

• Members

Thanks...

60% of the time = 2 acoustic guitars and 2 vocals through the mixer inside and out 50-100 people  

20% of the time = Speaking engagements and communicating to 200 kids in a gym and outside. 

20% of the time = Ipod mix for pool side parties and sports. 

Just as you have done, I need to go hear them somewhere... I also heard the EV-ZLX is good for the money, but the reputation that yamaha and qsc have over the longhaul has me convinced to spend a little more. Blessings! 

• Members

Thank you... We moved in our new house 9 months before the tornado hit and it missed us by 1 mile. However, the house we moved out of was completely leveled. The family was ok, because one was at work, the others in the storm shelter. Moore Strong, Moore will rebuild.

Archived