Outdoor gig "multiplier"?

• Members

I seem to have booked a lot of outdoor gigs this summer freak.gif and having close to half rained out frown.gif. For those of you not doing contracts where you get paid regardless of the weather, what multiplier do you use over an indoor gig? Besides the chance of being rained out there are also considerations on what cover (or lack thereof) there is and possible rain dates committed to.

• Members

I start at double. Although I do get paid even if I cancel due to weather, I have only don't that twice (one was a thunderstorm but we worked through the rain till thunder started, and the other was a tornado warning.) Since playing through the weather involves tarps, waterproofing all electrical connections, tents, etc it is at LEAST double. Beyond that I look at location of the event. Weather on a paved parking lot, where loadout is wet but doable, is much better than one where you have to wheel gear through the mud for 100 feet to get to where the trailer could be parked. (Been there and done that....took an extra 4 hours to get out due to trailer location and the mud, which also had to be cleaned off all everything the next day.)

If the gear gets wet, I can live with double. If I have other issues to consider, it can triple easily....

• Members

^ Thanks! You've mentioned before that you carry several pop-ups. Are they just for FOH and your stacks or ? How do you anchor them? I assume you don't supply stage coverage.

Yesterday they had one 10x10 for a whole band, it sort-of covered 1/2 the band excluding the monitors facepalm.gif. I don't carry tarps, trash bags work fine and take up a lot less space - plus you can use the monitors and speakers with them on if you have to. The mains and monitors out front often don't get enough protection from what cover they have.

• Members

My rate for lights & sound for an indoor event outside a bar is $800. Outdoor sound only is $1200. Generally only on our towns showmobile, and I mix via iPad, with everything set up in my trailer, out of the elements.

If it rains, I can lower the roof of the trailer, and pull the gear in out of the rain.

Archived