Puttin' the Band back together!

• Members

After a year of jamming in the basement, the Wednesday night old guy classic rock band finally has an actual gig!  It's a freebie at a neighborhood block party where we'll be setting up on a large deck attached to a house facing a big 60' x 200' backyard.  Pig roast, kegs of beer and a thirsty, fun crowd of 200 - 250 people are expected.  I've done some mobile DJ stuff over the past few years but need some help figuring out the best way to hook up our collection of gear for the gig.  We're a four piece band with drums, bass, two guitars and 3 of us sing. Here's what we have to work with....PV 10 channel mixer with built in effects and one monitor channel, JBL SRX715's, JBL JRX115's, Peavey PV115's (powered), Mackie SRM450's, JBL PRX618XLF's, JBL MPRO 418S (passive), DBX 223 Crossover, Yamaha CP2000 and some old Crown DC300 power amps.

Questions: While I still need a better amp for the 715's (looking at the GX7), will the SRX over XLF set up be all we need for this size area outside or should I try to incorperate my MPRO subs into the mix as well? Two like subs per side running them off one side of the GX7 and running the tops off the other?  Going this route would free our four powered speakers up for monitor duty.  If I have 4 channels for drum mics is there something other than 1-kick, 2-snare/high-hat, 3-toms, 4-overhead i should consider?  If I need a fourth vocal mic would the overhead be the first to give up?  Just looking for a nice full sound at a decent level that keeps things relativly simple and keeps us out of trouble.  We'll be mixing from the stage so the closer we can get to set it and forget it the better.  Thanks in advance for your help!

• Members

That's quite the pile'o'crap LOL. I'd take the two(?) XLF subs and center cluster them on the ground in front of the deck, then use the two(?) Mackie SRM450's and call it done (you might need the DBX crossover too if those don't have compatible built-in ones?). Those Mackies can easily keep up with only two XLF's outdoors. The other subs you mentioned wouldn't be able to add anything significant to the XLF's output. If you think you need R&R concert level at the 200' mark you need WAY bigger stuff freak.gif.

• Members

Oh, and classic rock can usually be fine with just an overhead and kick mic on the drums. I'm not a big fan of making classic rock band drums sound like a metal band freak.gif - YMMV. And you're not gonna be able to mix that from a deck above the speakers - you'll need someone who you can mix down in the yard to tell you what needs to go up and down.

• Members

djerickson wrote:

After a year of jamming in the basement, the Wednesday night old guy classic rock band finally has an actual gig!  It's a freebie at a neighborhood block party where we'll be setting up on a large deck attached to a house facing a big 60' x 200' backyard.  Pig roast, kegs of beer and a thirsty, fun crowd of 200 - 250 people are expected.  I've done some mobile DJ stuff over the past few years but need some help figuring out the best way to hook up our collection of gear for the gig.  We're a four piece band with drums, bass, two guitars and 3 of us sing. Here's what we have to work with....PV 10 channel mixer with built in effects and one monitor channel, JBL SRX715's, JBL JRX115's, Peavey PV115's (powered), Mackie SRM450's, JBL PRX618XLF's, JBL MPRO 418S (passive), DBX 223 Crossover, Yamaha CP2000 and some old Crown DC300 power amps.

Questions: While I still need a better amp for the 715's (looking at the GX7), will the SRX over XLF set up be all we need for this size area outside or should I try to incorperate my MPRO subs into the mix as well? Two like subs per side running them off one side of the GX7 and running the tops off the other?  Going this route would free our four powered speakers up for monitor duty.  If I have 4 channels for drum mics is there something other than 1-kick, 2-snare/high-hat, 3-toms, 4-overhead i should consider?  If I need a fourth vocal mic would the overhead be the first to give up?  Just looking for a nice full sound at a decent level that keeps things relativly simple and keeps us out of trouble.  We'll be mixing from the stage so the closer we can get to set it and forget it the better.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Send XLR outs from your PV 10 mixer to left and right XLF's.  Use the cross-over built into the XLF's.  Take the XLR outs from the XLF's into your srm450's.

I would really have liked to tell you to use those SRX715's (they are my favorite speaker), but you simply don't have the juice to do them justice at FOH.

I would use the monitor out signal to go to the CP2000.  Use the output of that to drive 2 SRX715's for monitors.  There should be more than enough oompf in them for monitor duity ;)

For micing, I assume you have 2 vocal mics from your comments.  You need to mic the kick.  I would mic the 3 toms and let the snare and cymbals fend for themselves.  You could run the bass line out into one of your stereo channels and pan it to one side.  The guitars will also likely fend for themselves.

The reason I say that some of the instruments "fend for themselves" is that they are loud in a frequency that people perceive as loud to begin with.  The lower "full" sounding instruments are the ones that really need the backup of the PA in most cases.

• Members

djerickson wrote:

Questions: While I still need a better amp for the 715's (looking at the GX7), will the SRX over XLF set up be all we need for this size area outside or should I try to incorperate my MPRO subs into the mix as well? Two like subs per side running them off one side of the GX7 and running the tops off the other?  Going this route would free our four powered speakers up for monitor duty. 

It sounds like you're expecting a GX7 in time for the gig. If that's the case, I'd put your SRX715s over the XLFs - sending a highpassed signal into the  GX7 connected to your 715s in stereo. I often power my 715s with an amp of similiar power - a Yamaha P7000s - and highpassed that combination gets amazingly loud. I could probably get a little more out of them with more power, but I never need it. The clarity and throw of the 715s versus SRM450s (which I also use a lot) would be no contest - especially outdoors. The Mackies will be much better served as monitors.

For a one-off I'd suggest keeping it simple and leave the Mpro subs home.

• Members

mrcpro wrote:

djerickson wrote:

Questions: While I still need a better amp for the 715's (looking at the GX7), will the SRX over XLF set up be all we need for this size area outside or should I try to incorperate my MPRO subs into the mix as well? Two like subs per side running them off one side of the GX7 and running the tops off the other?  Going this route would free our four powered speakers up for monitor duty. 

It sounds like you're expecting a GX7 in time for the gig. If that's the case, I'd put your SRX715s over the XLFs - sending a highpassed signal into the  GX7 connected to your 715s in stereo. I often power my 715s with an amp of similiar power - a Yamaha P7000s - and highpassed that combination gets amazingly loud. I could probably get a little more out of them with more power, but I never need it. The clarity and throw of the 715s versus SRM450s (which I also use a lot) would be no contest - especially outdoors. The Mackies will be much better served as monitors.

For a one-off I'd suggest keeping it simple and leave the Mpro subs home.

Yes .... if he has the GX7 ;)  The SRX715 is better in every way than the SRM450 ... especially for outside.

• Members

The drummer says he's ready to start, then starts fixing his kick pedal and misses his cue.

The singer says he's got a ride to the show but shows up an hour late, piss drunk.

The bass player sets all his **** down on the only set of stairs to the stage.

The other band's guitar player "didn't think [he] needed [his] cables" and asks to borrow yours.

When you go to start your set and have no cables, cuz the other guitar player left with them.

When your drummer shows up late, with no sticks, snare or cymbals, and looks at you like it's your fault.

When you call everyone and arrange time for rehearsal the next day, then the bass player doesn't show up because he's out with his new girlfriend.

The singer forgot about it anyways.

The drummer said nobody told him about it.

You arrange to share backline with the support and they don't show up to the gig.

Hotel management has you arrested because they think you're trying to steal the band's gear. Your band's gear.

It's 3pm and the singer is too drunk to tell them you're the guitar player.

You get a phone call from the keyboard player an hour for the gig, he's been arrested for possession and wants you to bail him out.

Then gets mad when you tell him his cut for the night paid his bail.

• Members

djerickson wrote:

After a year of jamming in the basement, the Wednesday night old guy classic rock band finally has an actual gig!   

Just looking for a nice full sound at a decent level that keeps things relativly simple and keeps us out of trouble.  We'll be mixing from the stage so the closer we can get to set it and forget it the better.  Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't know how much perceived help I could be, but I could spew pretty much endlessly about the above... spew, and spew, and spew... based on "been there, done that" first hand adnasium experience, and what we (I with the band's starts and carb farts following (we've burnt a little paint off the hood in the process)) are doing that's seemingly taking it to a considerably higher level.

You're striving for "nice and simple"?  Ok... I believe I'm empathetic (goodness knows), but I have some experience at this, and have come to realize it's generally not that simple.  I've come to believe the most complex "simple" possibly on the face of the earth is "band stuff".  Furthermore:  I believe there's scant little difference between simple but complex band stuff and complex but otherwise simple band stuff.  I think complex is the operative word... and seemingly simple might be more complex than seemingly complex... depending on if you're a few months or a few years or decades into the project.

sigh... I believe you might have posted a simply complex post... depending on the discussions it might open up.

• Members

Not going to give you any advice on hooking up but I will say "Play the gig & have fun".

If your comfortable when you rehearse, do it that way (sound for a block party doesn't have to be insane loud or pristine). Don't stress out to much about the audio and enjoy the musical side. You & your audience will both appreciate this.

Cheers

• Members

An added thought about 715s... they sound really good just passive flat. If you don't have any eq don't sweat it. For the type of gig you're doing, you can go straight from mixer to XLFs to power amp to 715s and sound fine. They have a sizzly top but that's what my aging ears prefer these days ;) As long as that doesn't bother you you're good.  

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

The drummer says he's ready to start, then starts fixing his kick pedal and misses his cue.

The singer says he's got a ride to the show but shows up an hour late, piss drunk.

The bass player sets all his **** down on the only set of stairs to the stage.

The other band's guitar player "didn't think [he] needed [his] cables" and asks to borrow yours.

When you go to start your set and have no cables, cuz the other guitar player left with them.

When your drummer shows up late, with no sticks, snare or cymbals, and looks at you like it's your fault.

When you call everyone and arrange time for rehearsal the next day, then the bass player doesn't show up because he's out with his new girlfriend.

The singer forgot about it anyways.

The drummer said nobody told him about it.

You arrange to share backline with the support and they don't show up to the gig.

Hotel management has you arrested because they think you're trying to steal the band's gear. Your band's gear.

It's 3pm and the singer is too drunk to tell them you're the guitar player.

You get a phone call from the keyboard player an hour for the gig, he's been arrested for possession and wants you to bail him out.

Then gets mad when you tell him his cut for the night paid his bail.

I don't know how we've never met in person - we've played in all the same bands!

Oh yes, to the OP - Mackies as monitors if you can swing a suitable power amp. The 450's are just fine for monitor use.

• Members

Just got a QSC GX7 yesterday at Guitar Center for $499.....they price matched the MF offer of $100 off anything over $499.  Hooked up the 715's and MPRO418's in mono using the amps built in crossover and Wow....I need a bigger garage!  Looking forward to using the amp tomorrow night at what will be my first gig in almost 20 years.  After getting my fix by doing some Mobile DJ work for the past decade, I'm looking forward to playing some music rather than being the guy that's just "playing the music." 

Archived