Drum fill, Side fill, Front fill

• Members

I understand the meanings of each of them, however? Based around the typical powered speakers can you pin point some references to make for example a 12" powered speaker good candidate for? Besides foh and monitor use? I'm sorry if this looks like a silly question for some of you but I haved read that there are specially cabinets made exclusively for this task; however based on my rig that is exclusively on 12" powered speakers, do you think that they could handle the job with our without Subs? Let's suppose that is the k12 and k sub with an 18" speaker into it;

• CMS Author

JV90 wrote:

15" + 18" would be for drum fill use then, it's not exactly a standard rule, but can I use a 12" instead the 15"?or it has to be 15"?

This is analogous to asking whether a red car is suitable for a road trip, or only a blue car will do. The diameter of the LF driver cone has very little to do with the speaker's suitability to a task.

• Members

Thanks for the advice dogoth really appreciate it as well the rest of you guys, meerkatsound do they really need that kind of cabinets like you've mentioned? I understand that that rig is pro at all, but does it really have a necessity to use that sort of equipment for just side fill and the addition to the iem?

• Members

That is the normal monitor rig that BEP tours with; Will.I.Am likes it loud on stage.  When BEP-Band started up the singers used just used sidefills for monitors and the musicians had wedges... they kept this set-up similar when BEP switched to a Track-Act, the IEMs where added on in the past couple yers.   I also assume that the back-up dances aren't on IEMs.  Also those speakers have a very tight coverage pattern.

When they do one-offs they travel with just IEMs and much smaller Side Fills. 

• Members

JV90 wrote:

Interesting at all, so if someone over here appears with our main foh just for side fills to them they would throw you away with all of your gear at all lol....

Because you are operating in a "third world market". You do not understand the bredth of how big and diversified the touring market is. I had a monitor system that was bigger than 90% of the FOH systems here. That was appropriate for the acts I worked with and the venues I did. I still have a monitor system bigger than many PA's here (14 SRX-712's, 2 SXR-715's on 8 mixes). Would I get laughed at in your country?

• Members

Hey, I was just trying to give an example, and not to laugh to anyone; and yes, that's the true if you live in the "third world market" you don't have the opportunities like you guys have, so what we see here maybe could be your side fill and monitor rig over your place, that's the way.... Over here

• Members

JV90 wrote:

Hey, I was just trying to give an example, and not to laugh to anyone; and yes, that's the true if you live in the "third world market" you don't have the opportunities like you guys have, so what we see here maybe could be your side fill and monitor rig over your place, that's the way.... Over here

Ok, so don't argue with us that your stuff is the way to go. You do not even know what you don't know. The world is a big place, many of us here who tour see an awful lot of things that most do not. They also have seen things promised as "great" but in fact simply awful by our standards.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

It depends entirely on the needs of the application. I have worked with side fills 10x larger than your entire FOH PA, for example.

Here's the side fill for a 1400 capacity theater in Portland, OR: "2 SDS 400SF FULL RANGE CABS W/ 1 TAD 4001 COMPRESSION DRIVER & 4 TAD 1601 15

Archived