YAMAHA DXR15 powered speaker video review

• Members

Hey guys, as the title says :

Only thing I forgot to mention in the video was that these cabinets also have a second TILT pole mount (so actually 2 holes at the bottom - one so the cabinet shoots straight ahead and the other if you want the cabinet to shoot slightly downward)

Al

• Members

Thanks for posting this, Al. I have had some Yamaha gear in the past and it did well. Those speakers or the 12" brethren may get added to my stable soon.

I was amused to see your house suffers from TCD as well (TCD - Toddler Chaos Disorder. Those with kids know all about this.) like mine does!

• Members

Hi Al, thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and observations. I've been considering a move away from my unpowered Peavey Impulse 1012's to a powered speaker.

My situation is a small band but with only vox, acoustic guitar, and violin through the Allen & Heath MixWiz16:2. The drums will go on their own and I'll carry the house with my own bass amp. The music is not overtly loud, just loud enough to mix with the drummer, and the venues will be small. This is an original tunes gospel group and larger venues (likely church auditoriums) will have their own PA systems.

I value clarity and a bit of natural bass response (so that I don't need to have subs) over spl's. Quality, not quantity. The Yorkville NX55p was one of my main considerations until I saw this new DXR series of speakers at a local store (Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill who also carry the QSC K-series). They look interesting. I'm interested in a powered top that has a bit of bass to it. So here's the question..... How does the DXR-15 compare to the NX55p? they are very close in price and performance. So, if you had the money in your pocket and these two were available......?

There are quite a few worthy powered speakers in this price range now. Peavey Impulse 12D series, QSC K-series, Yammy DXR's, JBL PRX's, Yorkville NX55's and probably other worthy contenders. I know the proper way for me to evaluate in the long run is to listen to them all and then make my decision (something I'm definitely planning to do), but seeing that you've had them both "in-hand", I was just wondering about your evaluation of the two in question, the NX vs. the DXR?? Thanks.

• Members

Hi Al, thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and observations. I've been considering a move away from my unpowered Peavey Impulse 1012's to a powered speaker.

My situation is a small band but with only vox, acoustic guitar, and violin through the Allen & Heath MixWiz16:2. The drums will go on their own and I'll carry the house with my own bass amp. The music is not overtly loud, just loud enough to mix with the drummer, and the venues will be small. This is an original tunes gospel group and larger venues (likely church auditoriums) will have their own PA systems.

I value clarity and a bit of natural bass response (so that I don't need to have subs) over spl's. Quality, not quantity. The Yorkville NX55p was one of my main considerations until I saw this new DXR series of speakers at a local store (Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill who also carry the QSC K-series). They look interesting. I'm interested in a powered top that has a bit of bass to it. So here's the question..... How does the DXR-15 compare to the NX55p? they are very close in price and performance. So, if you had the money in your pocket and these two were available......?

There are quite a few worthy powered speakers in this price range now. Peavey Impulse 12D series, QSC K-series, Yammy DXR's, JBL PRX's, Yorkville NX55's and probably other worthy contenders. I know the proper way for me to evaluate in the long run is to listen to them all and then make my decision (something I'm definitely planning to do), but seeing that you've had them both "in-hand", I was just wondering about your evaluation of the two in question, the NX vs. the DXR?? Thanks.

Both the NX and DXR (with contour engaged) have a very nice and full sound - and extended low frequency response. Both almost sound as if you are using a sub. Both have a sweet sounding and detailed HF driver. I needed to boost the highs a little on both cabinets as they do sound a little dark without a slight boost (mostly because of the ultra present low frequencies).

Where they differ most nocticeably is in output and quality of processing. At low to moderate volumes, both are fantastic sounding. At high levels though, the Yamaha keeps going while the Yorkville starts to limit noticeably or simply runs out of woofer you could say. It can only keep that deep full sound up to a certain point before starting to roll off the deeper stuff and sounding thinner and thinner. This of course will be much less of a problem for your application. I was testing with modern and sometimes bass heavy music.

The output the DXRs were capable of was substantially more than the NXs and although once you get to a certain point, the deep stuff is slightly reduced on the DXRs as well - it is far from being as noticeable as on the Yorkvilles and the soud quality on the DXRs remains excellent. I can't stand the sound of my NX55Ps once into limiting however as mine bottom out audibly and the reduction of lows is painfully noticeable. (again I am talking with modern CD playback music) The quality of the processing in the Yamaha is vastly superior to what is in the Yorkville and that's probably what makes it sound bette at higher levels. My dealer did tell me that the DXRs do not sound nice once they get into limiting though - but I wasn't able to get them at that SPL level in my studio so I'll have to take his word for it.

So which would I choose between the two? Tough question. I like the size of the NX, the service/warranty and they are amazing sounding cabinets when used within their limits. I also already have a pair of NX55Ps, so having four would = being able to use them together more easily.

Sound and performance wise, I would have to say I preferred the Yamaha. After my little high frequency boost (and the contour on) I heard details in the music which surprised me AND I was able to shake the house without my sub on and without even worrying if the limit light was blinking in the back because they sounded fantastic at all levels I could tolerate in my studio. Also, at louder gigs, I wouldn't have to worry about pre-mature limiting and could concentrate on rocking the party. I do hate the finish though, so covers are absolutely required IMO.

I do somewhat miss the Yamahas since I brought them back to my dealer. I honestly enjoyed listening to my music through them because of their sound quality (which I preffered over the more expensive DSRs) and also liked their power. They are kind of like the higher powered, not so quick to limit NX55Ps I've always wanted. :) Seriously though, both NX55P or DXR15 would be great choices for your application.

Feel free if you have any other questions. :thu:

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't forget, Al's comparing a 15" loudspeaker, to a 12".

Absolutely. The NX55Ps really did very well for being a 12. I think Yorkville just needs better processing in these units. With the Yamaha, it was really hard to tell when it started rolling off the deeper notes - you almost didnt notice. Quite the opposite with the NX55P. Until it started limiting, the NX55P held its own sound quality and low frequency response wise. My dealer has told me that the top end on the Yamaha doesnt sound good once the unit is in limiting however. I didnt get to those SPL levels in my studio though... My main disapointment with the DXRs was the finish. Just terribly cheap and fragile. Other than that, they were winners given their very good price point. If you dont mind the looks of the RCF 312A and dont mind its missing mixer section, they are still the best priced option (in the US) for a high performance powered speaker. My dealer is continuously surprised at how well these 350 watt RCFs compare to all of these new 1000+ watt speakers.

Al

• Members

Absolutely. The NX55Ps really did very well for being a 12. I think Yorkville just needs better processing in these units. With the Yamaha, it was really hard to tell when it started rolling off the deeper notes - you almost didnt notice. Quite the opposite with the NX55P. Until it started limiting, the NX55P held its own sound quality and low frequency response wise. My dealer has told me that the top end on the Yamaha doesnt sound good once the unit is in limiting however. I didnt get to those SPL levels in my studio though... My main disapointment with the DXRs was the finish. Just terribly cheap and fragile. Other than that, they were winners given their very good price point. If you dont mind the looks of the RCF 312A and dont mind its missing mixer section, they are still the best priced option (in the US) for a high performance powered speaker.
My dealer is continuously surprised at how well these 350 watt RCFs compare to all of these new 1000+ watt speakers

Al

He shouldn't be too surprised, since amp-module power-rating alone, has absolutely nothing to do with output. It'll make a difference in the bottom-end, by roughly 3dB, when compared to a loudspeaker with 1/2 the power, and the same sensitivity

• Members

He shouldn't be too surprised, since amp-module power-rating alone, has absolutely nothing to do with output. It'll make a difference in the bottom-end, by roughly 3dB, when compared to a loudspeaker with 1/2 the power, and the same sensitivity

Not only about the power thing, but he has been generally impressed at how well they compete with most any powered speaker out there in terms of sound quality. The sound quality of the RCFs is simply that good. My dealer owns the 312As but also a wide variety of powered and passive cabs including many Yorkville Elite E10s, some bigger Turbosound cabs and also the Yamaha DSR115s. He loves the output capability of the DSR115s and big Turbosounds, but still prefers the sound quality of the RCF horn over almost every other speaker he has sold.

Al

• Members

My situation is a small band but with only vox, acoustic guitar, and violin through the Allen & Heath MixWiz16:2 The drums will go on their own and I'll carry the house with my own bass amp. The music is not overtly loud, just loud enough to mix with the drummer, and the venues will be small. This is an original tunes gospel group and larger venues (likely church auditoriums) will have their own PA systems.

I value clarity and a bit of natural bass response (so that I don't need to have subs) over spl's. Quality, not quantity.

If you're not running kick and bass through the P/A, a good 12" speaker should be fine.

When you audition the loudspeakers, listen carefully at the top-end when they're pushed. Some get pretty loud, but often at the expense of harshness. Sometimes, it can be fixed with EQ, and sometimes not.

If you're going to go with a 15", you might also want to listen to the Yorkie NX750p. Another 15" I've liked, is the EV SxA 250. For vocal quality/clarity, the EV will give many 12" boxes, a good run for the money.

You'll probably find that a lot of people, buy a single pair of speakers that they'll use for all applications, regardless of how many people are in the room. In a crowded/noisy room, those speakers often get pushed beyond their ability to sound clear and detailed. That's not for me. I'm a firm believer in bringing "enough rig for the gig", and in some instances, that means shopping "up" a category.

• 1 year later...

Archived