Busy week

• Members

We had a few events going on at once this past weekend, so we cross-rented a lot of gear and did a few different events for the fall fair and local pow-wow.

Wednesday we set up for the pageant in the arena on Thursday. Simple rig. X32 and some 215 yorkville cabs. 9 leko on three crank-stands for lighting. Two powered speakers in the arena seating for delay/fill.

IMAG0273_large.jpg

Friday was a tribute night in the arena, with a bunch of performers doing patsy cline, brooks and dunn, elvis, etc. Some performed with tracks, others with a drum machine. Easy, though the show ran from 7pm till almost 11pm. Very boring. We used basically the same setup from the pageant, except with only two leko for lighting. Earlier in the day we set up most of the gear for the pow wow on saturday and sunday. While I was doing the tribute show, there was family night events going on at the grand stand as well as some other things.

Saturday and sunday I was at the pow wow. The set up was basically a round canopy where all the drummers sat, with dancers going around the drum pit and audience outside of that. We ran 4 JBL EON 15's for PA, set up "in the round" to project sound towards the audience. Each drum group has an SM58 on a stand, in the middle and facing straight up, to hopefully amplify the singers and not so much the drum itself. There were eight drummers in total, which is down from recent years, but it was still a good time.

IMAG0277_large.jpg

We had an X32 here as well, with power and snake buried in the dirt to drive the PA for the drum pit. I brought my laptop along to run the x32-mix software and control the board. That made labeling the channels and watching the meters much easier.

IMAG0276_large.jpg

The pow-wow ran saturday and sunday, with me and my helper in charge for both days. Other crews were doing the wrestling show and open-mic stage on the fair grounds. There was VRX and an SL at the wrestling show, with the PA from the pageant powering the open-mic stage.

We finally dropped off all the gear we cross-rented and finished up the job. It ended up being a LOT of work because of all the things going on at once. If you're interested, I recorded one of the songs from the pow wow drummers.

• Members

I've been eyeing the X32 for some time now. My 01v96/01v setup is getting old. No problems with them its just I would rather have 1 lug to get 32 channels total. ( 24 Xlr - 8 Trs balanced in current setup) The newer boards also have more as far as eq,effects, etc.  3 Setup 01.JPG

Whats your take on the X32? Happy with them or just eh?

Thanks;

Doug

• Members

I've been very happy with them. They sound great and have been easy to use, no problems so far. Learning curve wasn't too steep, especially if you're already familiar with digital consoles. My favourite things about the X32 thus far is the USB/FW audio interface, wireless control via pc or ipad and especially sheer amount of bus mixes and aux outputs.

I did my first show with the X32 without updating the firmware. There was a quirk where the graphic and channel eq's would not activate unless they were inserted at the correct point. I'm not sure if that's fixed in the firmware update since the EQ's haven't been moved around. I also wish there was a quick access for the GEQ's, it takes too many buttons to get to the channel you're after especially with the up/down, left/right buttons. The GEQ's are easy to use once you get there, though.

• Members

In other news, my buddy was doing a church install. They pulled out the old Xn and installed a nice little dB array. They wanted to use them for a kid's room or something, but decided they were much too large and complicated (tri-amp only). Frank decided to offer them a trade and they agreed... so we traded a pair of yorkville EF508 speakers and stands for a pair of Electrovoice Xn!

IMAG0281_large.jpg

We're going to use them for a show this weekend but he's already found a buyer for them, so we'll just flip 'em and prolly get some new boxes.

Here's a photo of the install for posterity.

IMAG0280_large.jpg

I had some serious microphone GAS so I bought an audio-technica 4033/CL. yay!

Archived