Maybe Obvious, Maybe not...Gain Structure for powered cabs

• Members

In reference my other thread about replacing my good old SR-x's with actives, I decided on a whim to pick up a PRX 612m at GC and bring it home so I could compare. I didn't have a lot of time last night to mess with it but I hooked it up thusly; L. out of my O1v96 to the PRX, R. out of my O1v96 to a PLX 3602 to the SR4722x.

I can find the input sensitivity specs for the QSC, but JBL doesn't publish that spec for the powered stuff, so how do I compare apples to apples here?

• Members

PRX boxes are fine but the SRx are in another league, even as old as they are.

I have problems with gain structure and powered cabs as well. I wish there was a "bypass" switch for the level control. Last week we were running the four EON 15s in a circle. We started out with all the input trims at max (all the way clockwise) but found out pretty quickly that the pass-thru was being amplified as well. Level was fine at the 1st speaker, but by time signal got to the 4th speaker it was distorted and clipping the amplifier. Why on earth would JBL do that?

EDIT: I was reading through the EON manual and discovered there was a MIX/LOOP switch on the back. I didn't set them up and by time I looked at it I couldn't see the switch behind the XLR connectors. Lesson learned, I guess.

Archived