SUB for KEYBOARD STAGE MONITOR System

• Members

Hey!, Guys ... long ways from the city showrooms, and need some sound advice, please.  : )

At home, been using a little Yamaha mixer and pair of Yamaha HS80M powered speakers. They've been excellent.

Added an entry-level Velodyne to this setup and ... yeah! There's the bottom!

Now, with the same effect in mind,

thinking hard about adding a sub to my STAGE monitor rig, which is a pair of Yamaha DXR8s.

It doesn't have to be killer loud, but more about it handling the real lows of the keyboards' left-hand nether regions (let's say 20-40 Hz) - with authority.

(and yeah, the bass players - and sound guys, I guess - will legitimately howl with indignation for my trespassing in/on their territory, but there are times - when I'm shamming, or kicking my own bass-lines - that I'd love to have the low frequency response of a sub down there as well)

I suppose I could run a passive sub, as I have a 900W (bridged) Yamaha P3200 power amp that would serve as the "engine" for it, but which brand/model of speaker would mate well with it? Anyways, a powered sub might be better (at least weight-wise.)   And that's the rub : it's gotta be something I can lift and pack myself ... i.e.- 50 lb. - MAX.

After looking at specs on a whack of 'em, I'm, frankly, er, dazed and confused. : ) 

One that seems to stand out is the EV ZAX1-Sub , but, is it for real?

So ... have finally decided to ask you Pros for your take(s) on this.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

• Members

Not many 50 Lbs subs to pick and choose from. Although JBL has new PRX 715XLF 15" active sub that weighs  56 Lbs which might be a option since only 6 Lbs over the 50 Lbs. and might be worth considering since JBL has stellar rep for their PRX line.

• Members

Hey! , twostone ... thanks for your input on this. Appreciate your thought.  : )

Nice to know that JBL is so highly regarded (for their subs, at least) 

that their new puppies warrant a "heads-up"

before they're even weaned!  : )  

OK ... I'm on notice (despite the weight) .

• Members

Hey! , RoadRanger ... thanks for the "heads up!" about your Yorkville(s).

With you guys being in New England - and us here in the Canadian Rockies -

it'd be a tough stretch, shipping-wise.  : )

monthlymixcd ,  thank you too for your suggestion(s). *thumbs up*

As twostone said early on, "Not many 50 lb. subs to pick and choose from."

So ... dug up some info on these (few) small subs :

YORKVILLE YX10SP  10", 38 lb.,  200W Prg.,  50-150 Hz (+/- 3dB), Max SPL 120 dB -  $360

ALTO TS SUB12 .........12", 41 lb.,  300W RMS, 47-125 Hz (-10 dB), Max SPL 123 dB -   $400

EV ZXA1-SUB ............ 12", 46 lb.,. 700W RMS, 44-118 Hz (-10 dB), Max SPL 126 dB -   $600

MACKIE DLM12S ...... 12", 48 lb., 1000W RMS, 35-120 Hz (-10 dB), Max SPL 128 dB - $1000

Thoughts/experience to share about these (relatively) "little guys" ? ... or others?  

Thanks!

• Members

I picked up some Proel Flash15SA's a year and a half ago to use with some QSC HPR122i's as a keyboard and bass monitors. Worked out real good. They are about 64 lbs but come with casters. I've seen them on ebay for $400 used. Not the greatest sub by any means but they are great for your intended purpose. Someone from this forum called them "musical" and its hard to put into words but thats pretty accurate from my experience. A small sub really adds to the sound of a keyboard rig.

Archived