Yamaha DXR12 Not impressed !!

• Members

Bought a pair of these for our band, after reading good reports etc. We wanted to use them mostly for vocals with our Mackie FX16 desk. WE have been using Mackie SRM 450 for a number of years and they have been fantastic, but thought it was time to upgrade. We listened to the Yamaha's at the music store being played back with a CD and we were impressed with the sound quality, being 132 db 1100 watt peak we didn't question the power. First gig we had to turn them to near max volume and push the mixer sliders to near the tops, The 450s were our monitors connected from the through on the Yamaha's (receiving the same signal) and we had to turn the volume almost off because they were so loud. Not impressed we took them back to the store and did a side by side sound check and the mackie 450's blew them away for power. We ended up spending a bit more QSC K12 and will be giving them a test Thursday. My advice don't even think about buying the Yamaha's if you want to use them in a band, fine for a small disco because the sound quality is good. Yamaha UK tell me they are aware that there is a power issue and think it could be on the input side ???

• Members

It is likely not a "power" problem but a gain difference and matching issue that has nothing to do with power. Do you understand gain structure and relative sensitivities?

I have tested both the DSR and DXR and both are capable performers in their classes. IMO the dxr is certainly as capable at the srm-450 and sounds better too.

• Members

ChillTheBand wrote:

Bought a pair of these for our band, after reading good reports etc. We wanted to use them mostly for vocals with our Mackie FX16 desk. WE have been using Mackie SRM 450 for a number of years and they have been fantastic, but thought it was time to upgrade. We listened to the Yamaha's at the music store being played back with a CD and we were impressed with the sound quality, being 132 db 1100 watt peak we didn't question the power. First gig we had to turn them to near max volume and push the mixer sliders to near the tops, The 450s were our monitors connected from the through on the Yamaha's (receiving the same signal) and we had to turn the volume almost off because they were so loud. Not impressed we took them back to the store and did a side by side sound check and the mackie 450's blew them away for power. We ended up spending a bit more QSC K12 and will be giving them a test Thursday. My advice don't even think about buying the Yamaha's if you want to use them in a band, fine for a small disco because the sound quality is good. Yamaha UK tell me they are aware that there is a power issue and think it could be on the input side ???

First, welcome to HC ;)

Second, I agree with the others that have stated that the DXR12's sound better than 450's, although unlike others, I haven't pressed the two side by side.

If you really want more output, then the Yamaha DSR112's would have been a better choice IMHO.

The K12 is not a bad speaker.  The KW122 is a bit better IMHO.

Third,

As stated by others, all of these speakers are shades of the same range of speakers.  What specific reason did you wish to upgrade your speakers?  Do you have subs under these speakers?  What sized crowd are you playing and what kind of music?  Are you using some kind of cross-over (if you are using subs)?

Last,

What mixer are you using?  I can't think of a mixer that wouldn't clip every powered speaker being manufactured today under the right gain structure.  How do you have things wired up?

• Members

We have a Mackie FX16 Mixer and we had the post gain set to feedback limits and pushed the slidders near the top at the gig, using the Yamahas for vocals only. We did a side by side test with the K12s with the same settings at the store and you could not compare the K12s with the Yamahas, more punch, more base more everything including sound quality, the people at the store had to agree. Perhaps its a Mackie mixer Yamaha thing, I can only tell you what happened. When we pushed the mike post gain above zero on the mixer the yamahas did get louder, but sounded horrible with mid distortion. Plug in the K12s and they sounded great no messing with Eqs or anything. We are going to mike everything up tonight using a Mackie sub for extra base, set post gain so that it flicks just above zero and give them a test. I am not a sound engineer but have been in a band playing classic rock and some chart stuff for 12 years and can only state my experence with these speakers and for Yamaha UK to back this, perhaps there is a bad batch going around.

Archived