OT Bloody Garage Door

• Members

So my wife says to me the other day the garage door won't close, so last night go to close it (using switch on wall) it goes down then stops for a second and goes back up. If you hit the button say halfway up it goes back down all the way then shortly after goes back up again.

This AM same thing happens using the remote switch.

I know there are two sensors beaming at each other and you can tell they are "seeing" each other cause the lights are green on both of them, if you walk in between them the lights go off until you move and then light up again. That tells me those are functioning normal right? So what gives? Is it a resistance thing it's feeling so it thinks somehting is stuck in the door so raises back again? Faulty swtch I am thinking?

-garage door noob.

• Members

Check to be sure there's nothing binding the motion in the track. Some use motor current monitoring to determine a blocked or jammed travel path, and the default (for safety) is to reverse direction. There is usually an overcurrent threshold that is adjusted to allow for ~20% increase in current before tripping. I would check this before messing with limit switches, as if this is the cause, you will then end up with screwed up limits.

Archived