Vocal stomp boxes

• Members

I cringe inside when I see them. Typically they don't know how to use them properly so I get one or more of.; over compressed, clipped, not bypassed in between songs, too many delay repeats, weird harmonies, garbage from stage bleed. I see them a handful of times each summer, mostly tribute bands or mediocre cover bands . I did however have two acts that really integrated them well, seamless into the concert. I expected as much since the bands were fantastic, great tones all over. One TC unit had a switch right on the sennheiser mic which had a control switch.

Phrases I seldom fail to regret hearing:

We do our own effects

We brought our own wireless mic

We mix the drums ourselves

I have my own drum mics

Here's our in-ear rack

So & so will hang by you to help mix

That's kind of our thing

• Members

witesol wrote:

I cringe inside when I see them. Typically they don't know how to use them properly so I get one or more of.; over compressed, clipped, not bypassed in between songs, too many delay repeats, weird harmonies, garbage from stage bleed. I see them a handful of times each summer, mostly tribute bands or mediocre cover bands . I did however have two acts that really integrated them well, seamless into the concert. I expected as much since the bands were fantastic, great tones all over. One TC unit had a switch right on the sennheiser mic which had a control switch.

Phrases I seldom fail to regret hearing:

We do our own effects

We brought our own wireless mic

We mix the drums ourselves

I have my own drum mics

Here's our in-ear rack

So & so will hang by you to help mix

That's kind of our thing

Yep!  I have heard / delt with almost all of those even though I only occassionaly do sound for others.  I can't even imagine how often you guys that mix for a living have to put up with this.

I sometimes use a TC VoiceWorks (Nickelback songs for instance), but as others have said, I leave the efx off.  Also, it is possible to split the lead vocal from the harmonies in some of these units I believe.  That way you could mix the harmonies seperately out front.

Archived