I'm cutting back this year

• Members

Only mixing about 65 shows for the year. I just can't do 100+ shows anymore. I priced myself out of some, I lost a few to lower prices and some I just didn't/couldn't do any more. My job has me busy mixing in the studio, traveling, producing. I'm just tired. Maybe it's just the end of the season and I've had enough. I also sort of realized I really do not want to be a big sound company. Most of my shows were 1000 to 2000 people events. I like those. I don't like nationals all that much but I still do them.

I admit it, give me a decent band, tribute band or the like, 1000 happy people and not loading in/out. Spoiled perhaps.

Do you all get fed up, tired of concerts by the end of the summer?

• Members

I did the same thing. I figured out before I started the company I didn't want to be a big provider. I aimed squarely for the bar/summer outdoor/small festival shows. I did well and prices went up to where it was almost worth it. That started to price me out of the small/new bands, which was just fine since I didn't really want those shows. I did a lot of the C nationals (and a couple of B's) coming into town, regionals, and the more popular ($$$) club bands. I did a 10 year run as a one man company with short periods of having hired help. System grew, but I didn't. At 60, the thought of continuing to wheel 4 LS1208s, 4 QRX212s, monitors, truss, lights, and all the racks, etc just took a toll. This year I only did a handful of shows, mostly fundraisers for things I believe in, for free or near nothing.

I have a great day job, and don't need money. I have been fortunate in life. The $60K or so I still have in gear can sit until I decide to do another show and it doesn't hurt because it is all paid for. I am not buying anything new other than maintenance of current inventory.  I have loved it, and it was the planned outgoing phase of my life that followed playing on stages for about 40 years. It is a young man's game when you have my target market. I continued to turn down shows this year, and the phone has pretty much stopped ringing which is fine with me. 

If something comes along that I choose to do, I will. It was very liberating to be able to say no when I just didn't want to do a show this year. I kept one customer whose shows I love doing. He runs a "school of rock" type business for kids that really want to play together in bands, and is a graduate of Berklee, so he does know the ropes. I love the chance to help kids have the feeling of doing a real "concert" with stacks, great lights, lasers, etc. We set up everything on a Sunday evening at larger local bars that would otherwise be closed that night. Shows are usually a sellout to the parents/grandparents/friends of the kids. My 10 year old sone learned to run my lights so he could be a part of it. I get to help in giving the kids something that most of them may never feel again, but it is a memory they won't ever forget of that first time with a real production. It is the one job I do quarterly for chump change, as payback to the world for the chance I had to do it all for so many years.

Haven't shuttered the business, but am about one step away, and will probably stay in this grey area for a few years. It is headed to being a hobby on the side instead of a real business which is what it was for years. Even successful companies need an exit strategy...

• Members

I cut way back after last year, and sold off my larger system.

Just got burned out from working a real day job and trying to work 70+ shows for sound.

I dropped a lot of bands I was working with, only kept a few good ones, and ones that were easy to work with. I also now only take shows at venues that provide easy access for setup/breakdown and parking!

This is the first summer I have enjoyed in years... probably since I was a teenager.

So far, the same plan will be in place for next year, only taking the shows I want, and if I dont get any I am more then happy spending time at home.

Archived