Mixers: Alternatives to A & H MixWizard. What do you suggest?

• Members

You guys have been very helpful in my last thread about upgrading my wedding band system.

My current plan is to buy some RCF powered tops; either ART-310 or HD-10 most likely, since I've seen some good pricing on those.

I'd hope to soon add a sub. I haven't spent a lot of time researching these, but so far, the one that most appeals weight/price wise is the  FBT Vertus CLA-208sa which seems to run about $900.

Which leaves me looking at mixers... Many of you recommended either the Allen & Heath MixWizard (If I went this route, I'd wait for the 4, which is due out shortly) or the Soundcraft EFX 12.

I checked out the MixWizard 3 yesterday, and it's quite heavy. 35lbs w/o a case. Perhaps the biggest annoyance of my current setup is the weight of the mixer (approx 52 lbs). and I'd like to have a good, light(er) sounding option if possible. Given the MixWizard's shape, withthe inputs on the back, it seems like I'd need to get a rack for it, which means the weight would be roughly comparable, and it'd take up even more space in the car.

Are there similar options, that are lighter, and take up less space? Obviously, sound quality is the main thing, and if I need to, I'll get the MixWizard. I'm going to look at the Soundcraft, and possibly would consider a Studiolive mixer too.

Thoughts? What would you go for if you weren't getting the MixWizard?

Oh, and one last thing. My EV PSX/SX300 setup uses Speakon connectors, which I love. Why do the A&H and Soundcraft mixers (and the RCF speakers) use XLR instead? It feels less secure to me. Anmixers/speakers.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Members

Re: Speakon vs XLR connectors. Speakon connectors are designed to carry relatively high voltage current from a power amplifier to a non-powered speaker. XLR connectors are designed to carry mic or line level signals. A self-powered speaker (such as an ART 310) only needs the signal, since it has its own internal amplifier. Mark C.

• Members

djrnno wrote:

If it were me , I'd be looking at going digital and get the Mackie DL1608 not sure if you want to make the digital jump but you can't get much light and as may features as that

I'd consider going digital, but I'd want an all-in-one unit, not something I have to add an iPad to to use.

Increased remote functionality with iPad, yes. Needs iPad to work, no.

Archived