Bad speaker....what do you make of it???

• Members

The answer is that the speaker was overdriven for too long a time.  But the answer is more complicated than just the Watts.

First ... the power handling rating is not a guarantee it is a spec that reflects performance only when a specific set of factors are present.  Live music is more complicated.  One of the requirements for that power spec is that the amp that is delivering the 600W be capable of cleanly delivering 2400 Watts and clearly that was not the case here.  Another requirement of the power handling spec is the shape of sound which I'm guessing is hard for almost everyone to ensure.

Just out of curiosity ... how long have you been using this speaker before the problem?

Normally using a 1000W amp with a 600W speaker is not a problem.  But you've bridged an amp and exceeded the capabilities of that amp.  It should not drive 4 ohm loads.  It is rated to handle 8 ohm loads.  This is one of the inherent problems when you bridge power amps.  The result is that you drive the amp into current limiting much more than would normally happen if you had followed the manufacturer's recommendation.  You wont hurt the amp by doing it incorrectly but it has negative effects on the speaker as you now know.  The second thing ... and in my opinion what really went wrong ... is that you are expecting more performance from your system than it is capable of.  The speaker failure was caused by bad driving.  It should have sounded like crap long before any damage was done and that went unnoticed.

• Members

dboomer wrote:

The answer is that the speaker was overdriven for too long a time.  But the answer is more complicated than just the Watts.

First ... the power handling rating is not a guarantee it is a spec that reflects performance only when a specific set of factors are present.  Live music is more complicated.  One of the requirements for that power spec is that the amp that is delivering the 600W be capable of cleanly delivering 2400 Watts and clearly that was not the case here.  Another requirement of the power handling spec is the shape of sound which I'm guessing is hard for almost everyone to ensure.

Just out of curiosity ... how long have you been using this speaker before the problem?

Normally using a 1000W amp with a 600W speaker is not a problem.  But you've bridged an amp and exceeded the capabilities of that amp.  It should not drive 4 ohm loads.  It is rated to handle 8 ohm loads.  This is one of the inherent problems when you bridge power amps.  The result is that you drive the amp into current limiting much more than would normally happen if you had followed the manufacturer's recommendation.  You wont hurt the amp by doing it incorrectly but it has negative effects on the speaker as you now know.  The second thing ... and in my opinion what really went wrong ... is that you are expecting more performance from your system than it is capable of.  The speaker failure was caused by bad driving.  It should have sounded like crap long before any damage was done and that went unnoticed.

Thanks dboomer............We have been using this configuration for over two years with no problems and sounded great.  only noticed a problem after an outdoor event when pushing the main levels a bit.  I really suspected it was something clipping, and gone un noticed as we run things from stage.  I appreciate the reply.

• Members

dboomer wrote:

Only under ideal conditions. I would have to say that most conditions are so far from ideal as to be laughable.

Archived