Well I did it...mkII (Yorkville content BTW)

• Members

Seeing that the other thread kind of took off into crossover tech land, I thought I'd start a new thread about the top cabs, the Yorkville EF500p's. To backtrack a little, I'm in the process of changing out my speaker system from JBL SRx series to the Yorkville Powered boxes. I've got a pair of LS801p's on the way and I have a demo EF500p here. Last night I set up the EF500p next to my SR4722x. I had to do some level balancing to get the output even close. I started with the EF500p's gain ctl. at noon and the 100hz HPF engaged. The SRx was driven by a DRPA preset and it was biamped. This also uses a 100hz HPF, as it's part of a 3 way system.

The first thing I noticed was the input sensitivity was much higher on the Yorkie. I had to turn it down to 0 to match levels with the SRx. This could have been due to a couple of things; DR settings, amp settings. The quick and easy way  to compensate for this was by turning the amp channels up. So now, I have the PLX3602's sensitivity maxed and the Yorkie's all the way down.

Of course there's going to be a difference in sound just because of the driver complement. And it was noticeable. But after A/B'ing for a while at considerable volume and with different types of music, we really couldn't decide if either one sounded "better".

What kind of surprised me was when I opened up the sensitivity on the Yorkville, it hit the limiter at about 9 of the clock. Which tells you how loud I was testing them. But at this level, the SRx was hanging just fine. I have to assume that I was at it's limits as well.

So now the conundrum. The Yorkies are a proven match for the LS801p subs, but they are Heavy and pole mounting them is not a one man job and I still haven't gotten a real answer as to what Yorkville recommends for this. So are there some lighter active boxes out there that will give me the sound I'm looking for? I do sound for my 4 piece Classic/NuRock/Country bar band. I run the PA loud and we're known as a loud rock band.

I've heard good things about the ART 725's but they're pricey..What about the Yorkville NX55p's? How do they compare to the EF500p's? I know the drivers are different, but I've been using and I'm used to a 12 & a 1" horn.

• Members

As far as putting the yorkvilles on tripods. Set the stands to the height you want. Lay them on the floor. Put the Ef500ps on their backs and slide the pole mounts in. Stand the speaker/tripods up. Done. I do this all the time for many years and its quite easy. I'm an ol' fart and can still do it.

If I were to replace my EF500ps for another speaker the only one I would look at is Danley sound labs SM80s. Very high output. Enough to keep up with the LS801p sub and a little more. They have a plastic box around the same horn design as well. If you already have the amps and a crossover I bet they would work well with the yorkville subs.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/molded-synergy-horns/sm80/

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/os80/

• Members

The NX55Ps will not come close to putting out what the EF500Ps can. I also got rid of my NX55Ps a few months ago. Traded them in for some Yamaha DXR15s who's surprising output capability and superb processing really put the NX55Ps to shame. I've used the DXR15s for my last 4 bookings and they are simply fantastic. I would suggest you perhaps look into the DSR115s however (which provide even more output than the DXR15s) since you say you guys are LOUD. The bigger compression driver on the DSRs might be an advantage as well. The output capability of DSR115 is much closer to EF500P that the NX55Ps. If you really want Yorkville, maybe wait for their Parasource series which is slowly shipping. The Parasource 12s look like an improved NX55P. A few lightweight RCF boxes should be considered as well, such as 722A/725A or even HD12As as these would also be a good choice and match for the 801Ps.

Al 

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

As far as putting the yorkvilles on tripods. Set the stands to the height you want. Lay them on the floor. Put the Ef500ps on their backs and slide the pole mounts in. Stand the speaker/tripods up. Done. I do this all the time for many years and its quite easy. I'm an ol' fart and can still do it.

That'd be fine, but I'm planning on using the pole mounts on the LS801p's.

• Members

As others have stated, the NX55P's won't even come close to the EF500P's - don't even consider the 55P's as an option.

You can pole mount the EF500P's, but they are a little heavy. One option is to get heavy duty crank stands.

The EF500P's have a lot of "raw" power. To get something else that loud but lighter, you might be looking at expensive or plastic - or used. As someone already mentioned, the EV ZxA5 comes to mind as a possible contender.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

The EF500P's have a lot of "raw" power. To get something else that loud but lighter, you might be looking at expensive or plastic - or used. As someone already mentioned, the EV ZxA5 comes to mind as a possible contender.

The ELX115p are just as loud, sound better, cost less and are much lighter than the EF500P.

Archived