OT: Waters Rising

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

Glad it is safe. I wouldn't be telling everyone where I store my unloaded gear though.

BTW, I don't see any picture of a building. What am I missing?

In the left hand side, the detached building is our office space. The river in the background is about a 6" below the crest of the berm right now. The flooding around the building is from the river water wrapping around the end of the berm and filling back in.

The flower bed is the only thing between the river and the building at this point. The firepit is about 2.5ft tall.

Photo Sep 12, 11 03 17 AM resize.jpg

• Members

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Subject: Exceedance Probability Analysis for the Colorado Flood Event, 9-16 September 2013

The Hydrometeorological Design Studies Center within the NWS Office of Hydrologic Development has released an analysis of the rainfall for the September 9-16 event in Colorado. It shows that this was indeed a very rare event with annual exceedance probabilities likely more rare than 1/1,000 spread over unusually large areas.

The analysis is available at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oh/hdsc/aep_storm_analysis/8_Colorado_2013.pdf. The assessment of the annual exceedance probabilities was based on the recent publication of NOAA Atlas 14 Volume 8. NOAA Atlas 14 provides precipitation frequency estimates for the U.S. on behalf of the Federal Government.

You can share this as you see fit. If there are questions, please let us know or direct them to us at "HDSC.Questions@noaa.gov".

Regards -

Chief, Hydrologic Science and Modeling Branch

Office of Hydrologic Development

National Weather Service

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Archived