Opinion on Carvin PM12A speakers?

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a couple of Carvin PM12A speakers fairly cheap that look like they'd be decent to throw in the trailer for spares/occasional use monitors.  I haven't heard or seen them yet, supposedly they are in perfect condition, etc, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. My only experience with Carvin has been with one power amp that has worked fine for us for the five or so years that we have had it in the rack.

We are currently using (and am very happy with) RCF 312's on stage, and will be buying more 312's if these don't pan out.  If the Carvin's are a step down from the RCF's, then I won't bother with them. 

Anyone care to comment?   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

tele-vangelist wrote:

I am also interested in the PM12A but in the context of using it for on-stage Keyboard amplification.   Other options are at least $200 to $500 more.  Specifically why would these not be recommended? 

Have you read this thread? Seems pretty clear to me.

• Members

tele-vangelist wrote:

I am also interested in the PM12A but in the context of using it for on-stage Keyboard amplification.   Other options are at least $200 to $500 more.  Specifically why would these not be recommended? 

Like a few other folks here, there was a time I used quite a bit of Carvin equipment. Being new to this, I was ignorant enough to think they made "Pro" level gear. Over the years some of their products actually held up quite well. I stress SOME. The biggest failures I had concerned their amps. Did not own ONE that didn't eventually die an early death or start malfunctioning in some manner. Over on the Carvin forum you can read thread after thread of folks complaining about the failure of their Carvin powered boxes. IMO they have made some very good passive boxes, decent mixers and that's about it. 

Kind of a shame really, their products look professional and it appears that they try to join the big boys but something just keeps holding them back (management ?) IME even Behringer has made more advances (X32) than Carvin. Hate to see a Made In The USA company keep floundering near the bottom but it must be keeping the investors happy enough.

Archived