Powered speaker technical question regarding wiring. HELP ME

• Members

Basic question is this: Can a speaker cable work but not send the entire signal to a cabinet? 

Output from board to subwoofer to second subwoofer...the second subwoofer doesn't sound the same as the first..its working but the bottom or bass response sounds weak. I have tried the reverse polarity on the back of the cab but it did nothing. This has also happened when I use just the top cabs...the second cabinet sounds like it has 1/2 the bass of the first. Below are details of my equipment and how I run it..There could be something wrong there too.

I have a couple of other postings here regarding JBL powered speakers, but I don't think this question is relevant just because they are JBL.

I have experienced this problem at various times and I need to check it out.

What I have : 2 x 612M's and 2 715xlf subs. My board is a Yamaha MG16/6FX

I am setup as follows:

I have vocals set to group 1-2

I have my music set to group 3-4

Pan controls are in the middle

This way I can set the master stereo fader for overall volume and adjust the ratio of music and vocals with the sub groups.

I just got the subs so I ran them first:

Out of mixer L and R side - oe side the sub had the problem...switched at back of board - same issue...ran right side only and daisy chained speakers : to sub 1- to sub 2 to top 1 to top 2 - same issue

used rapco signal combiner _ same issue-

took the cable going from sub 1 to sub 2 and replaced _ same

went back to original configuration L/R sides and nowits fine???

Could the cable I replaced have been sending a signal, but not a complete signal?

I was told to use a continuity tester> i did and it rings when I connect the posts. I was ready to take back a sub as inoperable but now it works fine...What am I doing wrong? What should I try?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't know...how can I tell? If I use the continuity tester and touch center prong to center hole it rings ...reads 0.02...In order to ring the left and rights I need to right prong to left hole and vice versa..all my cables checked out that way including the one I said must be NG

• Members

Are you using a balanced XLR cable or TRS cable?

This sort of thing can happen if there's an open signal conductor in one of the balanced lines. What happens is that signal that is not rejected by the differential action of the inout amp on the powered sub is being amplified. Generally, the common mode rejection is highest a low frequencies.

Also, be sure you aren't coming out of the sub with the high pass output.

This is almost certainly a cable problem, though  there is a slight chance you have a defective powered speaker IF when you swap the cabinets (and keep all other wiring the same, one cabinet from left out and the other from right out) the problem stays with  the cabinet.

• Members

Rumorsband wrote:

took the cable going from sub 1 to sub 2 and replaced _ same

went back to original configuration L/R sides and nowits fine???

Take the cable that goes to Sub 2 and use it to go to Sub 1 and the cable that currently goes to sub 1 and use it between 1 & 2.  If both subs now go bad then the cable from the mixer into sub 1 is bad.  If sub 2 is still bad then I'd look at sub 2 itself as being the problem.

• Members

Thats hot I normally run them sub and top on each side. i only tried chaining them because they show it as an option in the LBL PRX 600 manuals.

I'm going downstairs now to follow aged  instructions...one question, why is it so important to use a mono signal? I will - just wonderfing

• Members

Aged _ heres what i did:

Mixer left out to left 612 - check

Mixer left out ot right 612 - check

mixer right out to left 612 - check

mixer right out to right 612 - check

All the same cable

Repeat as above with another cable

Conneced left and right out of mixer and panned l/r - no change exactly the same

Repeat as above only with subs using the cables that worked just fine on the 612's

Regardless of mixer leftor right it made no difference - the left sub is not as strong as the right and nearly not the same bass overall.

Archived