Pre-Order Fail : An open letter to Allen & Heath and AMS Distribution

• Members

Prefacing the current situation: I have been an Allen & Heath user for over 10 years... using their MixWiz and Xone mixers, and recommending them to just about anyone who inquires or asks me for advice.

When Allen & Heath announced the QU-16, I was extremely excited. My band was/is beginning to outgrow our MixWiz3 and are looking to make the jump into the digital mixing market. Looking at the feature-set of the QU-16, and combining that with the known reputation that Allen & Heath has delivered over the years, convinced me that this was the right board to be moving towards. With that in mind, I placed my Pre-Order the very-first day that it was possible through my GC Pro representative.

Here we are ~8 months later, and I still do not have my board... yet online resellers such as AMS, zZounds, Full Compass, etc... are all have a handful of these boards in-stock and ready to ship immediately. So basically, you mean to tell me... Joe Blow can walk-in off the street and buy a QU-16 from one of these stores, before someone who has had the board pre-ordered for 8+ months?

After seeing this, I got in touch with my GC Pro rep who had it escalated up the chain to see what the story is. Apparently, and what was communicated to me was that, Allen & Heath fulfilled pre-orders to dealers who have "guaranteed" they would buy "x" amount of these boards... and since the QU-16 is a "special order" item at GC, they will not be fulfilling those orders right-away.

So another-words, since A&H didn't like that GC wasn't guaranteeing they would buy these boards in bulk, they decided to delay all orders to GC. (a very childish move). And at the end of this chain, they have screwed over a long-time customer. I wish you luck Allen & Heath, if this is your new business model... at the end of the day, these moves will screw-over your customer base and I'm likely the tip of the iceberg... unlucky for you, I'm a very vocal iceberg and am posting this message for others to see your unfortunate decisions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It seems you are basing your displeasure wth Allen & Heath about a GC business matter. Are you taking the GCpro guy's evaluation and investigation at face value? I'm not saying that isn't what is taking place, but having spent 12 years in a management postion at an MI store, sometimes there is more to the story. A spin can be put on any situation by both sides. 

Why not just buy the thing somewhere else then? I don't understand waiting months and letting a resentment build up towards the MFGR. 

• Members

Yep, sounds more like an issue with GC , or between GC and A&H.   GC didn't take the steps to make sure the pre-orders from their customers would be fulfilled while other retails did.

I'd be much more pissed at the retailer than the manufacturer, and I'd have cancelled my pre-order and purchased elsewhere long ago.

• Members

BTW MF did this same thing to me over a year ago with the Mackie DL1608. Should I blame Mackie for sending product to those willing to pay for it first over deadbead GC/MF ? In fact some showed up in GC stores well before MF filled their pre-orders. Yah, that's Mackie fault somehow - not facepalm.gif. I ended up getting mine from Sweetwater.

• CMS Author

dcaster, at any point did you contact A&H directly? Every mfg. has a sales department, and if you felt A&H was at fault because a GC pre-order wasn't being fulfilled, they could tell you the real story, and if they could not divulge the real story, could do something to keep you happy. And I would have insisted on speaking to someone above your GC Pro rep at GC.

Archived