San Diego Speaker Reconing/Repair

• Members

Nothing in particular really. Just that our system is played one to 3 days a week at pretty high volumes and over 6 years all the speakers have gotten worn out. Yesterday before first service, we hear a strange sound when our bass guitarist played. Sure enough, our midrange speakers gave out on the left side...that combined with one of our subs dying and doing the same crackle/buzz for the past few weeks.

Just maintenance really.

• Members

Just a thought... speakers don't "wear out" when powered reasonably. Perhaps you have too much power for your speakers and not enough speaker for your application.

I've got touring systems with drivers that are 15 years old and no signs of "wearing out". I service installations with speakers that are 20+ years old that still meet factory spec.

• Members

Just a thought... speakers don't "wear out" when powered reasonably. Perhaps you have too much power for your speakers and not enough speaker for your application.

I've got touring systems with drivers that are 15 years old and no signs of "wearing out". I service installations with speakers that are 20+ years old that still meet factory spec.

I am reasonably sure this is indeed the case. We have had a lot of people going through our church running sound and this time it is my turn. I really don't know what kind of speakers we have at all and if they are indeed over powered for our situation as it is. They are unmarked cabinets and I am going to have to get a scissor lift in to take them down and see. Then I'll have to cut up the stage to remove the subs from underneath. It is a mess...

Thanks for the info about Orange County Speaker. Great to know. Odds are, we are going to get a consultant in and really give us a quote we can run with.

• Members

are they a set of KF850?

I have a 8 KF850e (with 10 SB850 subs) sitting in a club that has been there since 1995/1996 being powered with a bunch of Crown Macrotechs. These tops has seen pretty much everyone from the A-List all the way down to the local bands wanting to hit it big.

• Members

Nope. they are part of a "proof of concept" system that went on to become one of the earliest (modern) line array products. Often, we will build a large scale proof of concept system before going into commercial production. Line arrays are difficult to predict without building up a full line.

• 4 years later...

Archived