Borrowing equipment from a "non-profit"

• Members

This question seems to answer itself quite quickly but I'll ask anyway. There is a situation where I believe a local sound guy is borrowing much of his equipment from a Not-for-profit theatre group and doing freelance work for money. Is there any condition/allowance where this is permissable? I'm fairly certain it's a violation of their tax status. Am I incorrect here?

• Members

I'm not certain of the legality (my hunch is you are correct about tax status) but I'm dead positive it's unethical if the nonprofit is not aware of it.  However, if they are aware and justify it as a way to "repay" the sound guy for his other contributions to the organization well, I guess in some respects that's their prerogative but it's probably still illegal for tax reasons.

• Members

Koopdaddy wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if Dave Rat would care if I borrowed his system while I made money off of it and he didnt.

That's not the same.  I strongly suspect Dave paid for his gear out of his pocket, and the tax payers of this country likely didn't subsidize Dave's property by the tax payers paying taxes and Dave not paying taxes.  If Dave wants to "give it away"... that's up to Dave... it's his soap on a rope and he can foam it anyway he chooses.  On the other-hand:  I have a bad attitude about competition funded with my hard earned tax dollars... regardless of the shape or form.

There's a huge difference (IMO) between private business openly competing in the market vs. tax payer subsidized business' competing in the market.

• Members

The second worst I have ever been treated was by an evangelical church that will never be allowed back into our building. They had no problem setting their folks up to fail then throwing them under the bus in front of the congregation. The wife of the pastor opened her mouth to me (like a sailor) and gave me a piece if her mind and I told her to shut her mouth before she said something she was really going to regret. She then screamed at me that I would never work any more of her shows in the building again and she was going to tell with the owners and have me fired. I laughed at her to her face when I told her it would be much easier than she thought... I am one of the owners and that she wouldn't have to worry about me working another one if her shows in the building because we weren't allowing her and her organization back in the building. I thought her head was going to explode right off of her shoulders!!!

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The second worst I have ever been treated was by an evangelical church that will never be allowed back into our building. They had no problem setting their folks up to fail then throwing them under the bus in front of the congregation. The wife of the pastor opened her mouth to me (like a sailor) and gave me a piece if her mind and I told her to shut her mouth before she said something she was really going to regret. She then screamed at me that I would never work any more of her shows in the building again and she was going to tell with the owners and have me fired. I laughed at her to her face when I told her it would be much easier than she thought... I am one of the owners and that she wouldn't have to worry about me working another one if her shows in the building because we weren't allowing her and her organization back in the building. I thought her head was going to explode right off of her shoulders!!!

You have the bestest stories Andy... lol

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I meant to ask earlier Andy, but Android app makes it hard.....so if that was the second worst, what holds the number one spot ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived