Something better than PRX612s for FOH

• Members

I am thinking hard about buying another set of FOH speakers - mainly to enable me to compete for work in larger rooms and to generally have too much rig (well tops anyway) for the gig.

I am thinking something a grade or two above my PRX612s. For most of my gigs, getting the vocals loud and clear above the band is the primary goal, rather than making the kick sound like an earthquake.

I'd like to stay active and I've been eyeing off the PRX635s for a while but I am not convinced its that big a big step up (though obviously better without the subs).

Would the KV2 Audio KX12s be a good option? VRX? Nexo? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The vrx 918 and PRX-618xlf are essentially the same speaker. The amp in the powered box is well matched to the speaker and you give up no unused potential that is not likely to damage the speaker by going with the unpowered 918.

The 612 is very hard to best performance wise, even in multiples.

• Members

Art Flood wrote:

I am thinking hard about buying another set of FOH speakers - mainly to enable me to compete for work in larger rooms and to generally have too much rig (well tops anyway) for the gig.

I am thinking something a grade or two above my PRX612s. For most of my gigs, getting the vocals loud and clear above the band is the primary goal, rather than making the kick sound like an earthquake.

I'd like to stay active and I've been eyeing off the PRX635s for a while but I am not convinced its that big a big step up (though obviously better without the subs).

Would the KV2 Audio KX12s be a good option? VRX? Nexo? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Art,

The KV2's you want to be looking at, would be the EX series. As for Nexo, try to demo a pair of PS12 R2. Either of these would be a major step up from the PRX 612's.

You don't want to be buying these boxes from a "spec-sheet". Go give them a listen, and I'm pretty certain you'll be bowled over by the output and quality of the Nexo's. Completely different league. Once you "go there" though, you'll never wanna "come back". They're light,,,, ultra-portable,,,, loud as hell,,, and linear at high output.    Phenomenal boxes..

Beyond that, the D&B AudioTechnik Q7's take it up another big notch,,, but they're a lot more money. The Q7's are flat-out the best pro-level loudspaker I've ever heard.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The vrx 918 and PRX-618xlf are essentially the same speaker. The amp in the powered box is well matched to the speaker and you give up no unused potential that is not likely to damage the speaker by going with the unpowered 918.

Thanks for the answer, ANdy! This then begs the question, what is the advantage of the VRX918p then? The speaker is almost twice the price as the XLF. I didread somewhere that the shape of the cabinet and the fact that the 918 is flyable was the only advantage, but you are the JBL expert, so I have no idea if that statement is hype or reality.

agedhorse wrote:

The 612 is very hard to best performance wise, even in multiples.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this. Are you saying multiples of the 612m (say, two per side) is good or not so good? Also, when you say that the cabinet is hard to beat, do you mean even by speakers costing 2 or 3 times as much, like the 932LAP or an equivalently priced Myer box or something?

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

The KV2's you want to be looking at, would be the EX series. As for Nexo, try to demo a pair of PS12 R2. Either of these would be a major step up from the PRX 612's.

You don't want to be buying these boxes from a "spec-sheet". Go give them a listen, and I'm pretty certain you'll be bowled over by the output and quality of the Nexo's. Completely different league. Once you "go there" though, you'll never wanna "come back". They're light,,,, ultra-portable,,,, loud as hell,,, and linear at high output.    Phenomenal boxes..

Beyond that, the D&B AudioTechnik Q7's take it up another big notch,,, but they're a lot more money. The Q7's are flat-out the best pro-level loudspaker I've ever heard.

Thanks Bobby. Will do my best to find some I can listen to. The KV2 distributor is not too far away but I am not sure about where I can get Nexo. But I am on the hunt!

Cheers

Archived