new PRX 710 vs. 612's - Aren't they the same thing??? Your opinions count

• Members

Need some help here. I just sold my single 618sXLF sub and bought 2 - 715XLF subs. Why? Space and weight.I know they aren't the same but they sound pretty damn good with my 612's.

The new 710's are in. Check the specs...What am I missing? Aren't the specs almost identical to my 612's? The weight, the frequency range etc etc.

What if anything do you think I would gain or give up by selling my 612's and getting the 710's?

In my thinking - I should keep the 612's because I can use these without a sub at small rooms and might get a fuller sound out of the 12's. On the other hand I have usually keep a 2 speaker size difference between the subs I buy and the tops ..18" sub - 12" tops ...so based on that only the 10's would be logical - but why waste the money if the 12's are almost the same.

The 712's go lower than the 612's

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That brings up another question: I was always told to run my front end (subs and tops) and monitors at full volume at the speakers, turning the volume knobs all the way up and then controlling the actual volume of the FOH and monitor mixes with the faders and auxes.

Is this not true, and if so, why?

• Members

The problem comes from turning the amps sensitivity down to where the drive signal clips before you can reach rated power, or in the case of powered speakers or amps that contain limiting, you will not take advantage of this if you do not have adequate drive electronics headroom from which to subtract limiter gain reduction from.

In practice, this end up being around 6-9dB from full sensitivity.

• Members

I did not eq on separate channels. I did however balance volumes as suggested. Dealer offered me $800 as trade in .... which would be $500 out of pocket plus cost of covers ... even if I sold them outright and got $1000.00 for them I can't see outlaying $400  as a positive ... as my OP stated - they dont weigh any less and it wasn't a knock out kicked the crap out of my 612's ... I can spend money on other things first ...

... which BTW is what most said to do ...keep the 612's

I sold the 618xlf for 2 715 xlf and that I think was the right deceision for me anyway

• Members

Those are a couple of horses that I trained in my spare time!

When I encourage understanding and learning how things work and why the pros do things the way they do, it applies to just about everything. Working with horses, just like rigging lights and sound, can be very dangerous (deadly even) or safe but knowledge and experience are critical to being successful.

Archived