Mic stand noise. Getting rid of low frequency thump?

• Members

I should have clarified that I use this mixer for acoustic music. Very basic solo duo stuff. I use a sm 58. And my back up partner uses the samson mic only because its my back up. The mixer itself has a global low cut, but I don't care for it engaged. I use a kick drum and it takes that low thump right out of the mix and leaves a very thin sound over all. I also don't use passive speakers anymore. Unless i need them for a monitor mix. I've got 2 qsc k12s I run from the mix out. I'll invest in another shure 58. And a shock mount and see how well that helps. Thanks guys.

• Members

Abzurd, I'll give that a try for now. It's typically set at 1:00 for the other singer. Female with a high voice, so I had it up a bit more for her.. I happened to just notice this issue the other night when she kicked the mic stand and it sounded like a massive kick drum going off. In fact it was much louder than my miked kick drum! Sounded pretty good too :D but not what I want going on.

• Members

I'd like to add a big thanks to you sound guys here though! I have actually learned a lot here. Still so much to learn about live sound! It's hard to grasp some of the tech stuff, but I'm trying. It's crazy how much we musicians think we know about live sound but we don't know ****! I just try to be humble and pay attention. I've got simple gear but if I could have anyone of you guys set it up for me live I'm sure it would be awesome! So yeah, keep on schooling us idiots please. :)

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Abzurd, I'll give that a try for now. It's typically set at 1:00 for the other singer. Female with a high voice, so I had it up a bit more for her.. I happened to just notice this issue the other night when she kicked the mic stand and it sounded like a massive kick drum going off. In fact it was much louder than my miked kick drum! Sounded pretty good too
:D
but not what I want going on.

yea, something's not right there..

something really wrong with the mic, like a loose cartidge

she sings too far from the mic or too soft and the gain is cranked up to a zillion

she kicks like a mule

Archived