Is the new Yorkville E10P better than the old E160P

• Members

Hey guys- Anyone had a chance to compare the E160P with the newer "improved" E10P? Your thoughts?

A couple things I have noticed:

The Frequency response of the old E160P goes down to 50Hz and the newer E10P (it's replacement) goes down to only 65Hz. Kinda weird I thought.

Why would Yorkville make the replacement not have as big of a frequency response?

I'm bummed Yorkville discontinued the E160P. I'm a "if it aint broke don't fix it" kinda guy. I wanted to buy some E160Ps but found they were discontinued.

The new E10P does not have a Ground Lift button- which I thought was a really cool thing that the E160P had-super useful. Plus I'm pretty sure the E10P has an internal fan to help with cooling and the E160P was purely passive cooling- No fan on the E160P means one less thing to go wrong, one less thing to rattle around, no fan=quieter operation when standing still with no sound pumping through it.

• Members

Hey guys- Anyone had a chance to compare the E160P with the newer "improved" E10P? Your thoughts?

A couple things I have noticed:

The Frequency response of the old E160P goes down to 50Hz and the newer E10P (it's replacement) goes down to only 65Hz. Kinda weird I thought.

Why would Yorkville make the replacement not have as big of a frequency response?

I'm bummed Yorkville discontinued the E160P. I'm a "if it aint broke don't fix it" kinda guy. I wanted to buy some E160Ps but found they were discontinued.

The new E10P does not have a Ground Lift button- which I thought was a really cool thing that the E160P had-super useful. Plus I'm pretty sure the E10P has an internal fan to help with cooling and the E160P was purely passive cooling- No fan on the E160P means one less thing to go wrong, one less thing to rattle around, no fan=quieter operation when standing still with no sound pumping through it.

Well, on the positive side, the E10P is more compact as it doesn't have that huge rear end. It also gets louder and has more power than the 160P. Speaker components are different from the E160P as well. The woofer is great and very powerful but the horn is somewhat harsh... Great little cabinet overall but a little on the expensive side. Neither the 160P or E10P are fan cooled. Both use passive cooling. The occasions I have used the E10P, very little heat was actually generated by the unit, even after many hours of use. You'll have trouble getting more sound out of a box of this size. Not the best sounding, but oh so loud! Google Al's E10P review for a good read.

Take care, Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

OK right on- the E10P doesn't have a fan- that is good to know. I was worried that it did because it mentioned convection cooling on the Yorkville site specs and the E160P cooling was mentioned as passive.

Regardless- I'm REALLY bummed they omitted the Ground Lift button found on the E160P- that was one of the nicest features.

Al- I'm assuming you've used both. Did you find the E160P bassier than the E10P?

I had 2 E160P and I used them as keyboard amps for a killer portable stereo keyboard rig a while back and foolishly sold them a year ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

• Members

In what situations would you use these speakers? With such a small profile I was considering them a while back for near field center fill speakers to compliment the pair of EF500P's we already have. However after reading about them it seems they would be to harsh sounding (we need more of an HF boost to compliment the LS800 subs).

• Members

Rocky,

I wouldn't read "discontinued" as necessarily meaning "unavailable". Production may be discontinued, however, Yorkville, or some of it's dealers, may still have those units in stock. Give Yorkville customer-service a call.

Bob

True enough.

I've owned a pair of E160P's for years and used them for everything from single acts to FOH (small band, small room), to monitors. As monitors they're not "Clair Brothers" but they work fine for the price ($350 to $500 used Cdn). They use RCF components.

I rented the E10P's for two months but took them back. They are even more strident than their passive cousin the E10. When I tried pulling 400 to 630 hz (works for the E160P) it just showed up other nasty frequencies. There is plenty of boomy bass, but when you engage the 100hz cut all the meat is gone and you're left with shrill. They are really loud for such a small box but that wasn't enough to sway me.

Read Al Poulin's review, you'll be glad you did.

BTW I believe the E10P has components by 18 Sound (another Italian speaker company as in RCF).

• Members

True enough.

I've owned a pair of E160P's for years and used them for everything from single acts to FOH (small band, small room), to monitors. As monitors they're not "Clair Brothers" but they work fine for the price ($350 to $500 used Cdn). They use RCF components.

I rented the E10P's for two months but took them back. They are even more strident than their passive cousin the E10. When I tried pulling 400 to 630 hz (works for the E160P) it just showed up other nasty frequencies. There is plenty of boomy bass, but when you engage the 100hz cut all the meat is gone and you're left with shrill. They are really loud for such a small box but that wasn't enough to sway me.

Read Al Poulin's review, you'll be glad you did.

BTW I believe the E10P has components by 18 Sound (another Italian speaker company as in RCF).

When properly positioned, the E10Ps low frequency is quite surprising for such a compact box. I haven't heard the 160P for long enough to do a proper comparison to the E10P. It's unfortunate the E10P HF driver isn't smoother in its response. I loved everything about the cabinet except the HF driver. I did get used to it mind you, but noticed how harsh it was when I compared it to my 3 other pairs of powered speakers. Combined with my LS700P, the E10P sounded the worst of the bunch... compared to NX55PS, YX15Ps and, even Behringer B212As. It's really too bad, but I could have lived with it for my purposes. I loved the ultra compact size and ultra high output.

Al

• Members

The E10 and E12 are good for monitors, as they have a nice "cut". However for mains use I prefer the other Yorkie boxes mentioned, as well as some others (the JBL MP412 and MPX 7xx series, U15, and FBT Maxx come to mind).

• Members

My first experience with Yorkville gear was playing sax in a bigband on Cape Cod that used a pair of Yorkville M160's with a box-style powered mixer..

I was totally impressed with the sound that the (small) cabs produced...they were great ie; small, loud, projected, and big/fat sounding...

I have since purchased Yorkville Cabs for my (small provider) FOH systems:

four e152B's

four tx4's

four tx9s subs

I also use a pair of e10 cabs (+ Yorkville EQ) for small gigs and have been pleased thus far...

I have used the above gear for mostly "outdoor" live band gigs (local park/beach stuff) plus some local indoor venues and have always received compliments on my production..

I have not noticed a significant drop in the low end of my e10's in my applications....

Best, Mike M

• Members

My first experience with Yorkville gear was playing sax in a bigband on Cape Cod that used a pair of Yorkville M160's with a box-style powered mixer..

I still own a pair of the M160's, and it's one of my favorite retro small passive cabs.

I too like Yorkville gear and currently own:

Unity U15 x 2

E160P x 2

Yorkville YX15P x 2

ES200P x 2

AP 1200 power amp

M160 x 2

E160 x 2

P10M x 2

and so on....

And even though it can be a little bright, I also like the passive E10.

I guess my beef is with the E10P. It should have been a killer box, and it does do fine on monitor duty (loud!). I just found that it wasn't cutting it for multi applications, especially considering the price. But...YMMV, everybody hears differently.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have a pair of e160p Yorkvilles I have owned since new.  I used them about 3 times for acoustic guitar gigs as sound reenforcment in a couple of larger venues my buddy and I played in.  These are like new with all original paperwork. I would like to get about $750.00 for both. I am in Massachusetts if anyone is interested.  I am also thinking of selling my Fender PD250 Passport fand replacing it with the new Yamaha 650 watt Portable PA system..  looking to get $350 for the passport.. email me if interested.  quardz@comcast.net

Archived