peavey feedback ferret...any good?

• Members

thinking of adding a peavey feedback ferret to my monitor rig to fight off ocasional feedback. i run my own sound from the stage and ocassionally get feedback in my monitors...usually from something stupid like a mic getting pointed at one of them...however as the lead vocalist i cant control it...would this help or is this a stupid idea? i have an dod eq and a bbe processor going to a qsc power amp...i use the peavey 12 monitors..the model escapes me but they are the ones with the volume knobs on them...that helps alot because i can adjust my volume without going back to the board. i have an iem setup as well but dont like using it the smaller venues because it becomes hard to interact with the crowd and hear what the foh sounds like when im out in the crown. any other suggestions besides the ferret would be welcome as well.

:poke:

• Members

i hate to ask this because im not a fan of beheringer products at all..never had any luck with them....is the bheringer feedback destroyer any good or is it useless like most of there other products? any other decent units out there for the same purpose worth checking into?:poke:

• Members

4 total..3 in front including myself and 1 behind for the drummer all 3 in front are sm-58s..mines wireless. drummer has a high end senheiser not sure model.

Reason I asked was these types of devices tend to work better when inserted into the individual mic channels but you'd have to get two of them to run four mics that way.

As far as I've been able to determine the "quality" of these devices from best to worst is:

Sabine FBX2400

DBX AFS224

Peavey Feedback Ferret

Behringer Feedback Destroyer

• Members
thinking of adding a peavey feedback ferret to my monitor rig to fight off ocasional feedback. i run my own sound from the stage and ocassionally get feedback in my monitors...usually from something stupid like a mic getting pointed at one of them...however as the lead vocalist i cant control it...would this help or is this a stupid idea? i have an dod eq and a bbe processor going to a qsc power amp...i use the peavey 12 monitors..the model escapes me but they are the ones with the volume knobs on them...that helps alot because i can adjust my volume without going back to the board. i have an iem setup as well but dont like using it the smaller venues because it becomes hard to interact with the crowd and hear what the foh sounds like when im out in the crown. any other suggestions besides the ferret would be welcome as well.

:poke:

You have a BBE on monitors?

• Members

Take the BBE off the monitors first.

I strongly disagree. If you take if off the monitors you most likely need more volume from the monitors to achieve the level of monitor effectiveness you currently have.

The units listed by Roadrunner should typically give you an additional 6 dB of gain before feedback automatically. You could also expect to be able to back off your GEQ and get some additional monitor effectiveness in addition ... YMMV.

• Members

i hate to ask this because im not a fan of beheringer products at all..never had any luck with them....is the bheringer feedback destroyer any good or is it useless like most of there other products? any other decent units out there for the same purpose worth checking into?:poke:

I bought the "better" of the Behringer units to run on two of my monitor mixes that were giving me trouble. It should have been called a Feedback GENERATOR. I know how to program these things and it was just NOT working properly out of the box... new. I left it with the Music Techs at the store that I got it from and they said that the only thing they could get it to do was chase customers out of the store at closing time. Behringer... NEVER again.

• Members

I have a Peavy Feedback Ferret on two of my four monitor sends...works like a champ! I used to dump the filters every gig and ring the monitors out at every gig...I still do that if I have lots of pre-gig time, but mostly I leave the filters from the last gig in place and I (next-to) never have monitor feedback and we have PLENTY of volume/headroom.

• Members

Reason I asked was these types of devices tend to work better when inserted into the individual mic channels but you'd have to get two of them to run four mics that way.

As far as I've been able to determine the "quality" of these devices from best to worst is:

Sabine FBX2400

DBX AFS224

Peavey Feedback Ferret

Behringer Feedback Destroyer

I agree stick it on the insert and you'll be good to go. Also some time's when the filters kick in you might hear a slight tonal change but it's not enough to drastically alter the monitor mix. Just enough to notice a slight difference. I also use the FBX 2400 which I like better this one seems to be pretty neutral when the filters kick in. Also I use it on the insert after the comp/limiter I also have in line.

• Members

Besides two Sabine 1020+ I have a Behringer DSP1124P that works OK. Main problem with these devices is that they need to be driven hard. Putting them on a aux out really doesn't "do" it unless you have some sort of variable attenuator after it so you can run the aux at full open. Unfortunately most mixers don't have aux out inserts :(.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i got my ferret all hooked up and gave it a workout this weekend and i love it! works like a dream..wish i had one in my rack for years. the only thing is i bought the older one and its only a single channel unit. i use it on my front main wedge..thats the hardest monitor to avoid feedback because i use a wireless mic and like to run around like an idiot. last night we had a show in a club ive always had monitor feedback problems in. it was raining like crazy and HOT! needles to say the club was DEAD! i used this as an oppourtunity to play with my p.a. a little..the feedback ferret took everything i could throw at it. i was impressed. ill probably pick up the newer 2 channel version somewhere down the road...but for now this one channel unit will help me out a lot. :cool:

• 4 years later...

Archived