good luck and bad luck with PRX Purchase

• Members

I always keep an eye out for PRX612ms on evilbay as they are the building block of my current set up. I don't see too much used PRX so when one popped up at a reasonable price I always check it out. Owner was desperate to sell to raise money for overseas trip. I asked a few questions and got good answers - including the option to buy a second one.

I ended up winning the auction - no one else even bid (which usually makes me think I paid too much).

After the auction finished I get an email from the seller saying she had got the model number wrong - it was a 615. I was surprised and started thinking something dodgey was going on.

Seller said they would refund the money but I was welcome to check out the speaker before I made a decision. They were near by, so I did. Turns out to be a young lass who had been using them for kiddies disco parties. Nice mum and obviously lots of money, Big house and a nice Merc in the carpark.

The speakers (two of them) were in great condition with covers and stands and a couple of lights. We struck a very good deal on the second one and I took them all home for a price that I was more than happy with - good luck!

Next day I set them up and played some loud music through them - after about 10 minutes some strange rattles developed - bad luck

I pulled them apart and it was the typical problem with PRXs - the high frequency driver had come loose on the horn. I tightened both up and all was good.

Not sure what I will do with these. I could probably turn a quick profit on ebay but I'll give em a run at tomorrows gig. I've always wanted one for a drum monitor but I think I'll try em on FOH first. I doubt whether they'll be any better than 12's as I always run them over subs - but handy if I ever need to leave the subs at home. 

I guess they'll give me a few more options and will give me a second system to rent out. I've still got gas for a set of RCFs though!

Cheers

Archived