Matching speakers to Cabs......

• Members

What is the do's and dont's of matching speakers to cabs.  Ive thought of replacing the 18 sub speakers in my peavey sp cabs with better performing ones, but brings up the question...will the cabs survive?  Just here to learn, and I know you guys will give it to me like it is.   Is there a rating on cabs??  Bad idea.....good idea up to a point???   Looking for some wisdom/experience as always..

• Members

No and No is prob what you will hear. If it's particle board for sure no, not worth investment. What I hear over and over again is that if you replace factory speakers then whatever you replace them with have to tuned and suitable to the box and no two drivers are the same. Do it yourself speakers guys gals may tell you different.

Are those the peavey's with the black widow speaker? I thought they were supposed to be pretty decent? I had considered them in the past myself.

May I ask processing and amplifier feeding them?  

• Members

It is....but peavey makes a couple of higher watt speakers, a lo rider, and a lomax speaker for cabs also. The sp cab is made of real thick plywood not particle board. Im sending 1250w to each 8 ohm sub...puts me right at my limit with my current speakers. If I could upgrade, and match a better speaker to the amp is the reason for thinkng of an upgrade.

• Members

You need the Thiele Small Parameters of the original driver and then match a driver with similar parameters.

Typically the box is designed around the loudspeaker.

With a sub it is more forgiving to find a loudspeaker that works well with the cu ft/ports of the box.

Matching a loudspeaker to a multiway box is more difficult and unforgiving with the TSP's.

• Members

The other sub is working fine..(so far), and sounds great. The cone is fine.....the voice coil is burnt. The amp is set for subwoofer....it has high pass, full range, and subwoofer.....still waiting for a replacement no from peavey...

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

You need the Thiele Small Parameters of the original driver and then match a driver with similar parameters.

Typically the box is designed around the loudspeaker.

With a sub it is more forgiving to find a loudspeaker that works well with the cu ft/ports of the box.

Matching a loudspeaker to a multiway box is more difficult and unforgiving with the TSP's.

Wow, you'd need an engineers degree or a lot of patience/interest to understand and apply these concepts:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/loudspeakerbuilder.ca/thiele-small.html

I can see how a multiway box would be more complex.  When I bought a sub box for my van's 10" sub, it was mostly about matching the cubic feet to the speaker.

• Members

You also will need to learn more about how and why speakers fail before using that kind of power. My experience tells me that your other sub has experienced damage as well, you just can't hear it (yet).

This is why I have a hard time recommending used speakers, who would want to buy a speaker driven to within an inch of its life (or beyond)?

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

You also will need to learn more about how and why speakers fail before using that kind of power. My experience tells me that your other sub has experienced damage as well, you just can't hear it (yet).

This is why I have a hard time recommending used speakers, who would want to buy a speaker driven to within an inch of its life (or beyond)?

Well thats a possibility....these these speakers(subs) were initially ran with a pv1500 in bridge @ 4 ohms......peavey guys say, you cant do that!!...well we did, and after two years of successful gigs, we had two four hour gigs our bass player could smell something.....changed amps, and the next gig we figured out what the smell was...the sub!  Cant blame the new amp....smell was there beforehand.  I know we are pushing the limits....normal gig we hardly push the system at all.  Summer months bring a few outdoor shows and thats the ones that worry me a little.  I wont buy used speakers either....overpriced and not worth the risk.  I did find a replacement basket, should be here by friday.

Archived