Going bigger rig for gig.......

• Members

Its been known that our rig is at its limits for some of the outdoor stuff we have done this summer.  Pushing our sp2's over sp118's hard to say the least.  We have decided to add another set of sp2's and a set of sp218's in the near future.  Not ever hooking up a system with this many speakers leaves me with a few questions..the first is the adding of sub cabs.  Is it ok to split the signal from the board  to the appropriate amp how many number of times??  How many times can you split a signal before it suffers?  Am I making any sense here.......?

• Members

the stuff hasnt been purchased yet....just thinking about it last night and was curious if its ok to split the input signal from our mixwiz how many times, if thats even ok? or is there a particular piece of gear that takes care of that. If you split one signal going six ways...does it hurt anything?

• Members

Not sure what you mean by splitting the signal from the board (Xover?) When adding amps (because you're adding cabs) You simply connect one amp to the next with the first amp in the chain being the one that is connected to the board or crossover. Main amps get connected to each other, sub amps get connected to each other. Don't mix them up. On the back of your amps you should have xlr or 1/4 I/O connectors to run from one amp to the next. This will send the signal from the "master" amp to all subsequent amps in the chain.

• Members

Will your existing amp power the additional speakers?

Splitting drive signals most certainly has its limits, general around 10 input loads is the point where the rule of thumb becomes a problem. In bigger systems amplified da's (distribution amplifiers) or multiple output dsp units become necessary in a properly engineered system.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Splitting drive signals most certainly has its limits, general around 10 input loads is the point where the rule of thumb becomes a problem. In bigger systems amplified da's (distribution amplifiers) or multiple output dsp units become necessary in a properly engineered system.

Andy

10 input loads as in 5 additional (slaved) amps running on both channels?  

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I have to sit down and do some figuring.....but our amp might cover it, but was thinking of an additional for just sub duty.....thus splitting the input load to two......Hope I never have to think about ten.  Or would any instance you need to split be a good idea for a dsp unit.  We dont use one now..but it has been a thought.

Current setup is....mixwiz>>>>dbx eq>>>peavey crossover>>>>CS3000>>>>sp2's(latest gen)>>>IPR2 7500>>>>SP118's...............Monitors....mixwiz aux's>>>>>>dbx eq>>>>(2)IPR1600's>>>(4)pv112m

The subs are not on a eq.

Archived