more DMX and audio snake goodness

• Members

i thought in the past i had seen some bulk snake cable that had DMX lines in it as well as audio. i cant find it and i am asking am i crazy?

yes i have been passing dmx down my audio snake which i do not want to do. i have made custom dmx cables (with real dmx cable!) for my lighting setup.

i have inherited through various trade deals an excellent condition 20 channel rapco with horizon cable. i give it a 9.5 out of 10 because it has some tape residue on it. however this particular snake doesnt have quite enough lines in it for me, i really need 24 instead of 20.

been considering building a seperate drive snake for stereo mains and DMX.

does such a beast exist? i could have sworn it does

• Members

Are you looking for 5 pin XLR connectors with 110 ohm data cable, or 3 pin XLR connectors with data cable? I take it you don't want to loom a data cable to an audio cable. Do you need more than one DMX send from the board end of the snake? Mark C.

• Members

only need one DMX send. 3 pin. been sending down audio lines without issue but i know this is wrong and dont want to do it.

the snake i have for work is 24 channels and i use 23 all the time. i bought it from mark and i love it. my new to me snake doesnt have enough channels but i basically got it for free and its in new condition so i dont mind making a drive snake to compliment it. i thought i saw years ago that some one (horizon) was making snake cable with dmx channels imbebedded but i have been wrong before just ask my wife

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I have Chinese knockoffs, I suggest Blizzard Wicicles!

Not very scientific, but decent range I'd say. Probably best if you use the Blizzard software and dongle... and if the first fixture in your chain is theirs so that the receiver is "phantom powered" by it.

I was at a wedding reception last weekend and the DJ used a dozen or so of those Blizzard pucks to ring the room in pink wash uplighting and then four on a tree at his table... two of those on the wall and ceiling above him and two on the dance floor. He just used those four fixtures on RGB color fades to the music and left the rest pink all night and it was a decent enough light show for the 300+ wedding crowd... 50 or so dancing at a time I suppose. Blizzard makes nice stuff.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I did something a bit similar. 6 uplights, 3 on the roof, and then a bunch on the truss.

Yeah... it's a nice effect and so easy to implement... with the brightness of most of the wash lights these days there are fewer concerns about turning off the room lights for safety... the wall washes just take over.

Archived