Acoustic Guitar and Distortion

• Members

Hi all,

I play a Walden acoustic with a built-in pickup, running through a Boss DS-1 (only use it for a couple of songs) and a Zoom A3.  The Zoom A3 has minimal effects turned on (a slight amount of reverb and an EQ setting geared to my guitar style).  In my last live show I run this through a DI and into the front of house mixer.  Guitar signal came through fine, and in sound check the distortion was sounding good as well.  However in the show itself, engaging the DS-1 cut the acoustic sound almost to the point of muting.  Listening to the recording, it seems like the main sound that comes through is the high frequency fuzziness from the distortion, but none of the lower end crunch. 

Again, the distortion sounded fine during sound check, when it was only the guitar being played.  During the actual live set, there's the addition of my vocals, my bandmate's drums (not miked at this venue) and his electric guitar amp (miked).  I've emailed the sound guy from the venue about it but haven't gotten a response, and I unfortunately don't know what his setup was.  I don't know enough to analyze the problem, just wondering if anything immediately jumps out at you. 

I appreciate your time and any possible solutions you can offer! Cheers,

Phil

• Members

There's a lot going on here. Wont have too many suggestions. 

How was the set recorded? If levels seemed close during sound check, I think it's quite unlikely they would drastically change in the show. Did something change? Something bumped, unplugged, bad cable? Was it far too loud? 

Archived