MIA Peavey Impulse 12D?

• Members

Although I am done with searching for speakers (love my DSR112's), I really wanted to hear the new Peavey's.

I have looked all over the web for someone who has heard them and compared them to the usual suspects (QSC, JBL, EV, Yamaha), but I was only able to find a single first person review from someone that heard them at NAMM.

It looks like these speakers shipped H1 2010, so I was expecting at least a few side by side evaluations by someone out there by now (nearly a year later).

What is up?

• Members

i never heard them either. i wonder if the ribbon driver is the turnoff? it was for me. i ended up with ev elx112p's i love them so far. i havent a/b'd them against anything other than some carvin 3 ways as of yet. however it was a win win for me pricewise. i did give those peaveys a look...but again that ribbon tweeter turned me off for some reason. i know nothing about them..maybe it was fear of the unknown

• Members

While I did not listen to them enough to give a thorough evaluation nor did I get to compare them side by side with other brands, I have heard and played with the 12D and was very impressed. Tight vertical pattern may not work for some, but for troublesome rooms where pattern control is needed, they could be great. For monitor duty, the ribbon tweeter may be an issue. The clarity of the set I played with was phenomenal. I also love the back panel interface and am curious what Peavey will do with the expansion area on the back (wireless, anyone?). Bottom was solid, but not boomy. Two 12Ds over a good sub would be a very capable rig.

Sorry, that's really all I have to add for now.

• Members

While I did not listen to them enough to give a thorough evaluation nor did I get to compare them side by side with other brands, I have heard and played with the 12D and was very impressed.

That seems to be the story I have heard from most everyone that has heard them. The Yamaha DSR was quite clear in comparison to both the K12 and the PRX612. I sure would have loved to hear the Peavey and EV too :(

• Members

I just heard they did really well in a recent shootout. I'll have to see if I can round up the details.

I would indeed love to read about that. :thu: The Peavey dealer in my area doesn't let me try out equipment, so I stopped dealing with them. They rarely have any of the higher end Peavey stuff - mostly PRs. :cry: If you have any demo units you could sell me at a significant discount, I might just be interested in adding some to my speaker collection. :)

Al

• Members

I just heard they did really well in a recent shootout. I'll have to see if I can round up the details.

Combining your post with your avatar I get a very different mental picture of the shootout. At 250 lbs, I feel bad for the goalie if EAW KF850's were involved.

• Members

I have used the new Peavey's But 1 blew before the night was over, so we went back to the Qsc K -12, I will say they sound as good as any I have heard. Why they didn't hold up is the question, I think it was the guy running sound, but he said peavey told him there was problem with them ,I haven't heard anything else since I quit the band recently.

• Members

Whoa! Considering the internal DSP and amplification, I would think it would be nearly impossible to do any stupidity that should result in blowing the speaker.

My condolences :(

Also sorry that things didn't work out with the band. I have noticed that it happens fairly frequently. Over the last 10 years, I have played with numerous musicians. Peoples lives just change sometimes ..... other times you just can't handle the crap anymore ;)

• Members
Whoa! Considering the internal DSP and amplification, I would think it would be nearly impossible to do any stupidity that should result in blowing the speaker.

My condolences
:(

Also sorry that things didn't work out with the band. I have noticed that it happens fairly frequently. Over the last 10 years, I have played with numerous musicians. Peoples lives just change sometimes ..... other times you just can't handle the crap anymore
;)

It was an easy decision. Thanks.

• Members

I think it's one of those "new model" issues. It was limited to the first production run and they are being modified. I believe it was an over-heating problem.

Kind of like the first problems with the IPRs... :facepalm:

Is it possible these new products are rushed into production a little too quickly? Send some prototypes out to a few DJs and bands for a month or two prior to release so that these problems can be discovered before the product is released to the general public. These recent problems are really not good for the company's reputation IMO.

Al

• Members

Well, being an engineer, I can say that this was either a design issue (which reflects badly on the design engineers), or a production issue (which reflects badly on the production engineers).

Given the proper DV (design validation) testing the first should not occur. Given the proper PV (production validation) the latter shouldn't occur. Both are controlled by engineering.

Hopefully Peavey can recover from this. Sad.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Not sure, but I believe it was a cooling (or lack of) issue. It's been resolved and we are moving forward.

As a result of this, I was told today we are implementing some new procedures to prevent this sort of thing in the future.

• Members

I've been doing this for 17 years and I can honestly say only once have I released a product and we had to do any sort of re-work. It was a case of something that worked perfectly on the bench, but when we tried to mass produce it the part tolerances became a problem. We fixed it and moved on.

I do have to admit, there's a lot of anxiety during that first production run, especially once the first ones get to customers.

Archived