Rehearsal PA - thinking Alto

• Members

I'm looking for a PA for use for vocals for jamming with a guitarist and drummer. We're mainly writing music... may grow into performances later but I'll supplement or replace later when we get to that point. The guitarist uses a Marshall JCM 2000 half stack at about 4.5. The drummer is unmic'd but it'll be a small place and he hits hard.

I'm thinking about an Alto TS110A or TS112A based on various user reviews, the price, and it has two inputs (extra to plug my keyboard into for working on parts/harmonies). I don't want to break the bank and it has to be portable.

What do you think? Will the TS110a keep up with the guitar amp? Would the TS112a be worth the extra cash? Other options?

Btw, I'll probably get a Mic Mechanic at some point as well.

• Members

I think you are on the right track. The 12's are the way to go. They have a more powerful amp as well as larger speakers.

I can be a little bit of a snob when it comes to speakers. My main monitor system is JBL SRX 712m's powered by QSC PLX 3402's, BUT, I have a couple of the Alto TS112's, and they kick but! At normal type stage levels they hold their own. I have been pleasantly surprised by them and I strongly recommend them.

• Members

I have one of each and I'm about to buy another 112A. The 112A has a proper handle on the top for carrying in addition to side handles. The 110A must be carried by the side handle. There are two nut inserts on top for a metric bolt, but I haven't bought them yet. I was going to run a 2" wide piece of webbing material between the studs as a carrying handle.

I called Alto last week to confirm unity is at 12:00 on these speakers.

• Members

From a power budget POV -- I am current rehearsing a 5 piece rock band with a single Yorkville NX55P monitor, thrown on the floor a couple of feet in front of the band.

We have lots of power, but our volume is capped not by the speaker, but by the room (GBF). We could probably get even louder ( unnecessary) by addressing that.. I bet I could sneak another 3db of vocals out with an EQ or feedback buster... And still have headroom in the speaker.

• Members

There's a Roland Cube Street in my local Craigslist for $200. Would that be a good option? I've done some reading but nothing speaks to the volume... otherwise sounds like a good unit. I really like the portability and features.

Archived