JBL PRX625 VS PRX725 , good update?

• Members

Hello everyone! sorry for my English :)

I wonder if the world has had a chance to listen to the PRX725?

I have a pair of PRX625  since  2-3 years. I love it but except for two small details The rear ported and the amplifier falls protection heat 5-10 seconds in some partys that require a lot of power for several hours

I will buy me two more boxes. The PRX625 is hard to find here in Canada in the new

So I ask myself .. PRX725? or to go with the PRX735 PRX625? I do not want a subwoofer, I is not need for my use. I have a pair of JBL4530 for big occasions

Options..

PRX625 + PRX725

PRX625 + 735

PRX625 x4

sale the PRX625 and buy only two prx725 for now ..

thank you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Disclaimer I have not heard the PRX 725's.

With that said I own 4 prx625's and I like them lots. Many people prefer to join popular logic and say 2x15's dont sound good. That Ok that is their opinion thanks for listening :)

So now onto my point I have 4 618s-xlf subs and I also have right now 2 prx 718s-xlf subs. I have not meausured them but to my ear the only diffrent I see in sound is the fan running on the back 7xx vs 6xx. Basing the opinion soley on that I would not expect anything diffrent with the 2x15 boxes.

In regards to the update of the amp now having a fan if you are having thermal issues this very may wll correct that. Pushing the box hard full range though is still may not.

Conclusion opinion of sonic diffrences none.

Thermal issues maybe.

JG

• Members

If you are driving the speaker system hard into protective limiting, the protection will activate to protect both the speakers and the amplifier. If you are indeed driving them this hard, you need more rig for the gig and there is nothing wrong with the amps themselves.

I recently experienced this with a customer of mine, bitterly complaining that his prx speakers were thermalling like every one on the Internet that he read about ( disclaimer... he is a Dj) and when I looked over his problem it turned out he was driving the speakers within an inch of their lives and the protection was doing exactly as is it was designed to do.

• Members

Ok thank you

but .. It must surely be a better bass with a front ported?

For the problem of overheating. It happens to me 2-3 times a year when I push the PRX to limit the red light flash sometime, but when it is about 2-3 hours that I play music in a big party.

Normaly the red light is alway off

when I install a fan behind each PRX in the same instance, I don't have this problem

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I recently experienced this with a customer of mine, bitterly complaining that his prx speakers were thermalling like every one on the Internet that he read about ( disclaimer... he is a Dj) and when I looked over his problem it turned out he was driving the speakers within an inch of their lives and the protection was doing exactly as is it was designed to do.

My RCF 310A's don't do that. Heck, even my Behringer B412DSP's don't do that.  Maybe JBL ought to figure out what RCF and Behringer are doing differently?

• Members

pgtcobra wrote:

Hello everyone! sorry for my English
:)

I have a pair of PRX625  since  2-3 years. I love it but except for two small details The rear ported and the amplifier falls protection heat 5-10 seconds in some partys that require a lot of power for several hours

I will buy me two more boxes. The PRX625 is hard to find here in Canada in the new

So I ask myself .. PRX725? or to go with the PRX735 PRX625?
I do not want a subwoofer, I is not need for my use.
I have a pair of JBL4530 for big occasions

I dimly recall you discussing why you didn't want a subwoofer. That's too bad, because a subwoofer would allow you to high pass your top boxes and thus allow the tops to run cooler.

I can't remember why you don't like subs - care to refresh my memory?

BTW, if you're near an L&M you could always try renting a Yorkville 720P, just to see how that might work out for you. Those subs are pretty light and would likely take enough of the load off of your JBL's to perform better (once they are high passed).

• Members

Shaster wrote:

pgtcobra wrote:

Hello everyone! sorry for my English
:)

So I ask myself .. PRX725? or to go with the PRX735 PRX625?
I do not want a subwoofer, I is not need for my use.
I have a pair of JBL4530 for big occasions

I dimly recall you discussing why you didn't want a subwoofer. That's too bad, because a subwoofer would allow you to high pass your top boxes and thus allow the tops to run cooler.

I can't remember why you don't like subs - care to refresh my memory?

BTW, if you're near an L&M you could always try renting a Yorkville 720P, just to see how that might work out for you. Those subs are pretty light and would likely take enough of the load off of your JBL's to perform better (once they are high passed).

Hi Shaster

My old kit is a two NX55p and two LS720P .. i have sold this because the prx625 is Better for lower space, weight and better overall sound ....  view my older post when i have change to PRX625. I have try and compared my old kit three days for my choice

Sorry for my english but The LS720P is not powerful enough to work with PRX625.

I have buy Two LS720P for replace the One LS700P

For the PRX625 , i  need a LS800P but is to big for my car and for one men only

Moreover, it seems to me that PRX625 has no "bypass" to 100hz only normal and boost

I prefer carry four PRX625 that two PRX625 subwoofer and two 18-inch

• Members

JBL is not selling the 600 series any more because the 700 replaced it. The likely reason for the 700s introduction at this time is the rise in price for the rare earths from china required to make neodymium magnets. I don't think it has anything to do with the amplifier design. But of course I am just guessing.

• Members

I have been concerned about the thermal management on the PRX line since it's introduction. I don't usually disagree with Andy .... Because I generally don't like being wrong ;) clearly the primary reason for the 7XX was the price of neo magnets going up 500%. It is also pretty clear that they took the opportunity to correct their thermal management issues. I would state that my XLFs have never shut down. I do agree that lowering output is a better strategy than shutting dowd.

• Members

OneEng wrote:

It is also pretty clear that they took the opportunity to correct their thermal management issues. I would state that my XLFs have never shut down. I do agree that lowering output is a better strategy than shutting dowd.

Hi!

I play Saturday with two prx612 with my two PRX625 at the same volume and input DB

after 4 hours , the prx612 is very very cold vs my prx625!

I burned his hand on the PRX625.

To return to the main topic, I hate to hear the difference between the 600 vs 700.

And especially why the 20 pounds more

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The main advantage is continued production of a good speaker category. Otherwise, what would they have to offer in this class?

I have no idea. I do know that the 700 line is more expensive than the 600 line was even when it was the current line and at the top of its price.

There are still new 600 line speaker cabinets to be had and they are significantly LESS expensive than their 700 line equivalents. So let me ask the question this way: What advantages do I get with new PRX700 speakers (say 712m and 718XLF) over the 600 line cabs?

lol I already know what advantages JBL gets by me buying the 700 cabs. ;)

• Members

I suspect that the claim of 90% efficiency is possible with active PFC and syncronous rectification, in addition to paying attention to the details throughout. The real questions and practical challenges revolve around reliability and cost.

Also, it should be noted that how efficiency is measured could skew the results in meaningful ways.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I heard the 725's but purchase the 735's only cause I wanted better mids, but the 725's were sweet too don't get me wrong. As far as all the concerns of overheating, I did not own the 600 series but heard of all the issues. The cooling system is strong in the 700 series and they automatically go in to stand by mode after 5 minutes with no signal, to accelerate the cool down process. Used them at our gig for the first time the other night. Sounded great, stand by mode worked during our breaks and they came back on the moment they get a signal. Very cool {no pun,,,, you know} Go for it ! They fixed the all the issues and the sound quality is clear and loud !

Archived