Recommendations for DIRT CHEAP rehearsal PA

• Members

Some young people of my acquiantance have expressed an interest in starting a band.  I think I've impressed upon them the importance of having a decent PA; however, they're high school students and pretty much broke.  It's been years since I was shopping at that end of the market, and I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for something that will work to get vocals and maybe a keyboard heard, at least for rehearsals, that is not in danger of crapping out at any moment, and that they could get for at most a few hundred bucks?  That needs to include a vocal mic and cables.

Part of the problem is, they are in Phoenix and I'm in Chicago, so I can't check out used stuff with them, and they don't know what to look for or what brands to trust or stay away from.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  If we can get some good recommendations, I'll give them a link to this thread.

Thanks!

• Members

I have some older Peavey PR10P and PR12P that have three inputs (one XLR and two 1/4). You can find them used for $200 every once in a while - I really should sell off the 12 as I only have the one and have three of the 10.

A "real PA" used would be about $500 - that's what I'd sell an RMX850, two PR10's, a four channel mixer, a mic and cables for out of my surplus stuff  smile.gif. I actually gave one of my kids that same list of stuff last year - ouch, glad I didn't add it up first freak.gif.

• CMS Author

As you are seeing by the responses so far, there is nothing for $200 that would be new, work, and have a mic. Used is the way to go, and bargains can be found. Look for a used SM-58; it's a workhourse, there are thousands around, and a used working one should sell for about $40. A mic cable will run about $20.

For $140 used, you're still going to have a really tough time finding a decent powered speaker. The Peavey powered models are probably the best bet to seek, as they are inexpensive, fairly common, and sound decent. Steer clear of used Nady, Phonic, and Behringer, as most of what's out there used won't work, wasn't great when new, and didn't age well.

Of course you've got another challenge to find used gear in their area, and you can't test it. By all means post your finds here so we can see if they're worth pursuing.

• Members

When I started talking to these kids, I admit, I forgot what it was like to be young and broke---that state where a new guitar cable or strap is a serious captial investment.  I had originally pointed them towards a Carvin package system that would be enough PA for small gigs, but that ($699) proved to be outside their budget.  They were talking about having everybody pitch in to get a smaller system that was in the mid-$400s, but I warned them about the perils of joint purchases of equipment, especially in their first-ever band.  I saw this, which at $399 would probably work for rehearsals:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-audio-performer-pack-portable-pa

My initial thought had been to recommend a powered speaker that they could plug into, but I didn't see anything with multiple inputs that would be in the same price range, once they get a mic and cables.

I have heard anecdotally that counterfeit SM57s and SM58s are a problem . . . would you guys think they'd likely be safe buying a used 58 from a store or off craigslist?

• Members

soulx wrote:

I'd look for a used Peavey lunchbox mixer (XR600 series) and a 1 or 2 used Yamaha Club or Peavey SPs.  All are loud, durable, and cheap on the used market.

yea. I always suggest yamaha club series. they work well, easy to find, easy to fix. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

With all the expertise on here, you'd be crazy to listen to me.

That said, I often see ads for used keyboard amps, Roland and Peavey with a lot of watts for not very much money. They typically have multiple channels, so that you don't need a mixer. So, it's a kb amp some cables, stands and mics. Then, after they stop playing or stop singing or get a better PA, you've still got a kb amp. Right now, the there's a 100 watt kb amp, a Peavey, in Glendale on Craig's List. $150. Good enough for rehearsals? Well, I used worse when I was a kid. And, if they're not a loud band, they might even be able to perform with it. I recently saw a duo of pros - guitar, bass and two vocals -- with a mixer and a guitar amp for a patio party and they sounded great.

• CMS Author

Rick6 wrote:

With all the expertise on here, you'd be crazy to listen to me.

That said, I often see ads for used keyboard amps, Roland and Peavey with a lot of watts for not very much money. They typically have multiple channels, so that you don't need a mixer. So, it's a kb amp some cables, stands and mics. Then, after they stop playing or stop singing or get a better PA, you've still got a kb amp. Right now, the there's a 100 watt kb amp, a Peavey, in Glendale on Craig's List. $150. Good enough for rehearsals? Well, I used worse when I was a kid. And, if they're not a loud band, they might even be able to perform with it. I recently saw a duo of pros - guitar, bass and two vocals -- with a mixer and a guitar amp for a patio party and they sounded great.

That's actually a very good idea, and one that I've forgotten about. I've seen keys amps used like this a few times, and it can work. The other similar solution is an acoustic guitar amp, as long as it's got a sealed cabinet design.

This is of course a better idea if there's a keys player in the band, since a KB amp is of limited use if the band moves up to bigger and better things in time.

Archived