Which software for VSTs/Backing Tracks/Patch Changes?

• Members

Hey fellas-

I'm looking at bringing a project to the live stage, and I'm running into a headache trying to get everything sorted out.

The project is a metal/industrial hybrid. The drums will be all pre-recorded and on a backing track, and the guitars I would like to run through PodFarm if possible, to minimize stage volume.

The problem I'm running into is figuring out how to automate all the patch changes for PodFarm and softsynths. Especially PodFarm 2.5, because the automation settings aren't really labeled. I also would like the softsynth patches to be automated. I would like all the dudes in the band to be able to move around freely without having to hit pedals on a pedalboard, or without the keyboardist having to hit his patch changes either. This way we can all focus on the performance. 

I've been looking into Mainstage as I already use Logic, but I don't know if it will be able to automate all the patch changes for PodFarm, or to automate all the softsynth patches. 

Some of the bands that I love do something similar using Cubase - Periphery and Meshuggah, but they have Cubase set up to shoot MIDI signals to their AxeFx units while their backing tracks play. 

Any help would be appreciated. I've been racking my brain over this for a few weeks and have been unsuccessful in my attempt to get answers. 

Thanks!

Archived