Yorkville Pulse PW subwoofer

• Members

I was out looking around yesterday. My band is in need of a subwoofer for our PA. I ran into a used Yorkville Pulse PW. Anyone know anything about this? It looked sort of like the pictures I've seen of the LS700P, but the only numbers I could find on the thing was Pulse PW. It is definitely a powered subwoofer. Can't find that model listed in the discontinued products section at Yorkville.com though. They want $199 for it. Worth it?

• Members

If it's in good working condition snag it up. These are pretty similar to the

LS700P. Just minus a 100watts which aint gonna make that big of a difference. I used 1 for the first year of gigging out until I made enough to get a pair of LS700P. Their nice little sub that pack a nice tight punch they don't go heavy low if your doing screaming die die metal. You'll be disappointed because of the box tuning. If you need to reinforce some low end for kick and bass in small clubs, then by all means it a good price if it's in good condition and not beat to hell and back.

• Members

Maybe, maybe not. It's an older version of the ES, that later became the LS series. Not sure how much power was in the older models, but recent models come in 200 and 700 watt flavers (and that's program watts so really you can cut that in half). They are efficient drivers in a box design that's all about output so the watts aren't the whole story.

That said, if you're looking to "maximize your boom" with only one sub, you probably don't want it to be a relatively low powered small sub. We used a pair of ES700P's for years and they were fine for us, but one wouldn't have been enough for our "party rock/dance band" genre. If you're doing jazz or lower volume blues stuff with a lot of open space and you only need a little kick, then it may work fine for you.

• Members

From Yorkville's "Professional Audio Products 1994" brochure, page 14: Dual 10" speakers with large diameter voice coils and high BL magnets along with optimum box volume ratio helps yield higher output than a conventional 18" spekaer system. A linear computer monitors voice coil voltage and current to control excursion and temperature. A Sweepable multipole filter dynamically optimizes system response according to program demand. Pulse PW delivers a thunderous 128 dB SPL that's sure to "shake your booty".

Specs - 600 watts program, sensitivity @1W/1m 102 dB, 45 - 110 Hz, 82 lbs.

The box is listed as the PPW, but in the picture the box has Pulse PW.

If it's in good working order it's probably a pretty good deal, depending of course on your needs.

• Members
From Yorkville's "Professional Audio Products 1994" brochure, page 14: Dual 10" speakers with large diameter voice coils and high BL magnetsalong with optimum boxbox volume ratio helps yield higher output than a conventional 18" spekaer system. A linear computercomputer monitors voice coil voltage and current to controlexcursion and temperature. A Seepable multipole filter dynamically optimizes system response according to program demand. Pulse PW delivers a thunderous 128 dB SPL that's sure to "shake your booty".

Specs - 600 watts programsensitivity @1W/!m 102 dB, 45 - 110 Hz, 82 lbs.

The box is listed as the PPW, but in the picture the box has Pulse PW.

If it's in good working order it's probably a pretty good deal, depending of course on your needs.

the only tough part is if you are thinking one for now and add a second later, it might be tough to find a second one. But for the price you could probably get your money back out of it, or most of it.

• Members

We play "classy rock" and I really just want to be able to mic the kick right now. I don't even know if the sub works or not as I couldn't get "Mr. Metal Head" at the store to even tell me anything about it much less demo it for me. I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if "my regular guy" is working. So it appears to be 2-10" with 600 watts if I'm reading it correct. Should put out enough for a kick drum. I'll have to pick up a crossover too then if I buy it.

• Members

We play "classy rock" and I really just want to be able to mic the kick right now. I don't even know if the sub works or not as I couldn't get "Mr. Metal Head" at the store to even tell me anything about it much less demo it for me. I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if "my regular guy" is working. So it appears to be 2-10" with 600 watts if I'm reading it correct. Should put out enough for a kick drum. I'll have to pick up a crossover too then if I buy it.

300 watts, I believe it said. 600 program. You'd be surprised what it takes to mic a kick.

• Members

IME the level of power you need, will often depend on what you're trying to achieve.

Twice this year, I have played a very large banquet hall with just two 10" speakers, a powered board and a powered 10" sub (ES200P) - no monitors, strictly lo-pro, although the band consisted of session guys...

The band was light Pop, and R&B. Miced the kick, one overhead, and DI keyboards. No guitar mic.

It was plenty loud enough for the crowd (age spectrum 50 to 60) and they liked it so much the first time we got invited back.

However... I realize that bringing a system like that into a wedding for 20 somethings or a metal bar, could/would spell disaster (or worse!).

If your market is small venues, older crowd, mamagement restrictions on volume... you can appropriately use much smaller stuff, and rent when you need bigger.

Some gigs require double 18's.... to do it properly, but bringing a set of double 18's into a piano bar would lead to a world of grief. There's a huge spectrum of sound needs, that's why there's so much variety in gear IMO. If the OP can try before he buys, all should become apparent.

• Members

VanR -

I have a Pulse PW and simply adore the thing! That unit is rated at 600W and around 128dB max output. If I could get another one for the price you are being quoted, I would do it. That model later morphed into the P210P and is similar to the current LS700P.

I use one Pulse PW and two Yamaha S115V cabs for dance crowds of up to 250 folks (recorded music for dance groups mainly). While not the loudest or deepest sub, it does a great job with getting a good clean thump on the dance floor for me.

"I'll have to pick up a crossover too then if I buy it."

No, you will not. The unit can take line or speaker level inputs and pass an unadulterated signal through. I run Mixer -> Amp -> Sub -> Mains and it works great. The sub taps a tiny bit of the speaker-level signal to run its own amp and passes the rest of the speaker signal on to the mains. Just remember, though, that the passed-through signal is full range.

Hope this helps!

• Members

Yeah but I'll need a crossover to get the lows out of my 12" JBL tops. Otherwise what's the point?

That would be the ideal but... when I'm faced with a situation with a sub and no crossover, I generally aux feed (or sub group feed, or right channel feed) the sub. In other words a little kick... goes to the tops and then using a different "out", a little or a lot of kick, bass... goes to the sub(s). Is it "the proper" thing to do? No, but it's a workaround. And when you can find/afford a crossover, you might want to aux feed the subs anyway.

Does your board have an extra aux send.... you could use?

• Members

Yep it has 4 aux feeds. We only use one for monitors. So I guess we have 3 open.

I have a QSC GX3 with the built-in crossover. I guess I could use that and feed the highs off of channel two (HF) and not use channel one (LF). Will it hurt the GX3 to not have anything outputting from the LF side when in crossover mode?

• Members

Yep it has 4 aux feeds. We only use one for monitors. So I guess we have 3 open.

I have a QSC GX3 with the built-in crossover. I guess I could use that and feed the highs off of channel two (HF) and not use channel one (LF). Will it hurt the GX3 to not have anything outputting from the LF side when in crossover mode?

IMO that's too complicated and changes what was already working for you. QSC or "an amp man" can tell you if you could do that but I wouldn't, you're wasting half your amp.

Yorkville designed most of their early subs to be an addition to the ten or twelve inch tops people were using back in the day (and still use). That's why many of their original subs had speaker level inputs. The sub was supposed to make a good thing better. Crossovers, Driveracks, RTAs... what's that? These subs were for audio in the trenches.

We've kinda been spoiled by the "I can't play the gig cause my 59 Les Paul is in the shop, and I've only got my PRS" syndrome.

If the whole retro thing is too daunting, by all means go the modern route. Whatever works for you, as long as it sounds good and you're having fun!

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi, I've been using a pair of these for years, along with two NX55Ps. Just did a wedding last night in a pretty big hall and I love this sound system. The pw's are great, in my opinion.

The price is right. grab it. Hook it up FIRST.

PS. I'm a yorkville fan. I've had a lot of yorkville stuff over the years and always got my money's worth.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Old post I know. Ok could I run one of these and a YX15 for a drum monitor? I power the drummers YX15 with one channel of an IPR1600 (300W@8ohms) I know he would like a little more kick. I'm thinking this would probably do the trick. I see its powered. So id run a speakon to the YX15 abs run this sub off an aux

that ought to make our drummer happy.

$200

• Members

Yes, that's the purpose of the built in crossovers in t he GX series amps.

• Members
Old post I know. Ok could I run one of these and a YX15 for a drum monitor? I power the drummers YX15 with one channel of an IPR1600 (300W@8ohms) I know he would like a little more kick. I'm thinking this would probably do the trick. I see its powered. So id run a speakon to the YX15 abs run this sub off an aux

that ought to make our drummer happy.

$200

Brings back memories...

Anyway, I'm sure your drummer would appreciate that "classic" drum monitor rig. Of course you could always throw caution to the wind and just take an out from your YX15 and go straight to the sub IF kick is the only thing in the YX - but that's probably not the case.

• Members

Well I rented a LS200p and also an NX750P2 for the drummer to try. Our next gig is on Oct 24, so I'll give it a go and then whichever one he prefers and that's what I'll buy.

I'm also providing sound for a bar gig this weekend. I think I'll use the NX for the drum monitor and see how it goes.

I'm thinking the NX750, just less hassle with one piece of gear instead of two.

• Members

Went with the NX750P as a drum monitor for 3 bands this weekend. One drummer is in a few bands that I've often done sound for. He said it was a noticeable difference over the YX15, and that it sounded great. I'm not going to bother with the LS200p.

Setting up this weekend for our next gig on the 24th at a buddies shop. I'll bring both the LS200p and the NX750P back and buy a brand new NX750P-2. It even fits in the trailer pretty good! Yorkville has its 0% October so I'll take advantage of that. Put $300 down and I'm good to go.

D0462788-D68C-47CA-8E7B-9CE0B58B8EF6.jpg

BE06EF5F-2F65-43BD-ACBD-22234A09433B.jpg

• Members

Yes, the NX750P's work nicely for drum monitoring, and are a viable alternative to the two piece system. The second generation 750's are probably even better.

For the rest of us, this is a good example of starting over, instead of trying to put a band-aid on what is already in place. I still like the top and sub system but that's probably best in a house PA - unless the drummer carries it themselves!

Archived