Al's Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker review

• Members

Hi Al, nice review again, i was thinking about picking up some of couple of the 12's, 42.5lbs is a nice weight for a 12, my jbl mrx 512m's are i think 33lbs, but i am having a hard time finding a couple more for monitors, so i was thinking of picking up a couple of the  DXR 12's for extra monitors, and i could also use them for the local Legion for their speaches. I am in Ontario as well.

• Members

Good review Al.

Hopefully your wash is all done now :)

One of the things I noticed right away with my DSR112's is that a 12" speaker is actaully quite large.  Not the kind of thing you are going to easily put on your passenger seat.

For speaking engagements, I think an 8 or 10" would be great.  Even for larger DJ gigs, if you have a sub, why not an 8" or 10" speaker?

The one thing I have noticed about my 12" speakers is that there is quite a bit of "punch" coming from the 12" woofer vs the subs.  I think that lots of what people hear as "punch" doesn't come from the subs.  In this case the larger tops likely do help with the overall sound.

Well done.

• Members

OneEng wrote:

Good review Al.

Hopefully your wash is all done now
:)

One of the things I noticed right away with my DSR112's is that a 12" speaker is actaully quite large.  Not the kind of thing you are going to easily put on your passenger seat.

For speaking engagements, I think an 8 or 10" would be great.  Even for larger DJ gigs, if you have a sub, why not an 8" or 10" speaker?

The one thing I have noticed about my 12" speakers is that there is quite a bit of "punch" coming from the 12" woofer vs the subs.  I think that lots of what people hear as "punch" doesn't come from the subs.  In this case the larger tops likely do help with the overall sound.

Well done.

The DXR8s or DXR10s should do just as well as the DXR12s and 15s when hi-passed (100/120hz) and with a sub or subs handling the lower frequencies. They are so much more compact too. I actually was able to fit my entire family (my wife and two daughter + myself) AND an LS720P, 2 X  DXR8s, 1 X DXR10, a Yamaha portable grand, two speaker stands and a keyboard stand as well as my minidisc player, all cables and 2 mixers in my Ford Focus wagon tlast weekend for an out of town concert for 400 kids. The car was almost touching the ground, but WOW!

Al  

Archived