Knob creep

• Members

I believe last April I posted about a service call I had gone on at a local church.  The suspected that they had blown the speaker in the sanctuary.  It turned out that the mixer was so out of whack gain structure wise its surprising it didn't blow the speaker.

Well, I as called back in yesterday afternoon.  Yep, screwed up again.  Most gain knobs to the max.  Hi, mid and low EQs all over the place.  Channel faders as far up as they could go and mains barely off of the bottom.  Ambient voice in the room was causing the meters to jump to red.

Zero'd everything out and started all over.  Sounded decent for an old system when I left.

• Members

you know I wonder with these new fancy digital mixers if they have thought of a lock out feature to give users only certain functions, I would think many a pa installer would like that as a feature? Kinda like domain with clients and you can restrict them to user rights only.

• Members

I went to see a buddy of mine playing in a local club. He was doing sound from the stage. When he saw me walk in, he had this look of "oh, I've been saved" on his face... "Dave, can you take a look at the PA? I can't seem to get it right...."

I took one look; the FOH EQ was all over the place. The channel strip EQs also kind of whacked. So, I asked, "why is the EQs set like this?"

"I just made adjustments from where it was last time..." he said :smiley-wtf:

So, first thing I did was to zero everything out and told him to play for a second...

"Man, that's the best this ever sounded. You're a genious! What did you do?"

jiFfM.jpg

• Members

nchangin wrote:

you know I wonder with these new fancy digital mixers if they have thought of a lock out feature to give users only certain functions, I would think many a pa installer would like that as a feature? Kinda like domain with clients and you can restrict them to user rights only.

This is certainly a benfit of moving toa digital system, but many churches have analog systems out in the open. Buttons are magnets for kids fingers. So it may not always be the "sound guy's" fault.

• Members

Most of these customers will not accept newer technology, they want knobs so that they can screw it up themselves whenever they want to play sound guy. Those of us who do this for a living will totally get what I have just said.

If they choose to screw it up beyond their comprehension, they can also choose to have it fixed for them. At some point, we can't protect them against themselves.

• Members

I have a friend that was one of the "Sound Guys" at a big Church here in town and he left because he couldnt take it anymore.

The Church insisted on taking on mostly all volunteers to take care of the sound duties in the Church.

It really is a mess with volunteers operating and changing gain structures with several systems throughout the building.

The Church he works at now strickly uses hired guns on all sound systems and even in the Church band.

He did try to go talk to the higher ups at the volunteer Church about volunteer issue and they told him

thats the way it is and if you dont like it then seeya.

He chose the door.

Archived