How much power would we need to power this rig?

• Members

We are thinking of expanding our PA for some of the larger gigs we do.

I want to know how much power do we need to ask for at the venue to power this rig.

4 JBL SRX 728

4 JBL PRX 725

2 JBL PRX 525

2 JBL PRX 515

We have led lights and our board.  No live guitar amps on stage. We have a couple keyboards and electronic drums.  Im not sure how all of that enters into the equation but Im guessing its not much compared to PA.

Generally at shows where we would bring this PA they have a power box they drop on stage.

Not saying this is what we would always use its just the absolute maximum we could use.

• Members

I will look into the Peavey distro box.  Someone posted it here before and I know ive thought about it.

Just looking at it it is awesome.

Dumb question, this has to be plugged into a 50 amp outlet?

How often do you run into those in the rooms you play?  Usually we are at a hotel ballroom and many times I dont see one but maybe im not looking in the right spot 

usually at shows like this they have some electricians on hand and they run us one of those large power cubes with outlets on all four sides/edisonbox/disrto.  like this

http://www.onsite-energy.com/Distro/edisonbox.html

sometimes hotels will have one as well, which is nice.

Im assuming that will work easily^

other times we currently ask for 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits for our band.  We play lots of country clubs and places like that where they dont have great power options.

Would this work as well (3 dedicated 20 amps)?

• Members

The Peavey Distro plug is a NEMA14-50. Most commercial business have these types of outlets. All the larger venues I work have the NEM 14-50 outlet available near or on the stage. You should be fine running off 3-4 20amp outlets. The distro makes it nice because it cuts down on the use of extension cord runs.

• Members

Do you guys ever measure your equipment's current draw?

I used to use a short extension cord I made up with the conductors separated so that I could get a clamp-on ammeter in there. Now I use one of those Kill-A-Watt things.

FWIW I try to never exceed 80% of a circuit for continuous operation, i.e. no more than 12A on a 15A circuit.

Does anybody know the derating formula for loads with oddball power factor?

• Members

Jealousblues wrote:

other times we currently ask for 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits for our band.  We play lots of country clubs and places like that where they dont have great power options.

Would this work as well (3 dedicated 20 amps)?

My band runs a PRX (512s over 618XLFs) system.  Small guitar amp.  No bass or keyboard amp. (keyboard rig is 3 boards and a guitar processor).  12 LED lights split on either side of the stage and 6 traditional PAR 56s across the back.  PA mixer.  A few other misc. items.

We always ask for 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits which is plenty.  We usually run the lights on one circuit and then run stage right/stage left on the other.   If we only have two circuits to work with, we will split the lights stage right/stage left as well.  90% of the time this works fine.  Sometimes we find it's too much so the backlighting of old PAR cans in the first thing to go. 

If you're playing old country clubs and the like (which we often do as well), you'll find the power situation is hit and miss at best.  Good luck finding anyone who even knows which outlets go to which circuits (even though you've specifically stated your needs in the contract and mentioned them several times in communications before the gig.  "Our engineer doesn't work on Saturdays...." )  let alone whether they are 15A or 20A or something else.   And if it's an older building....well, who knows.

The distro box is a great idea, but has its limitations as well.   Most notably that there's often not a suitble outlet for one anywhere near the stage area and running power cables back to the kitchen across where the food servers need to enter/exit isn't always a good option either.

Archived