I played an outdoor show today that was SO hot that...

• Moderators

... the LCD displays on my guitar gear stopped working.  I have never had that happen before.  It wasn't just that I couldn't see them because it was so incredibly bright and there was sweat pouring down off my face constantly, even cupping my hand around them failed to make them visible.  My LED indicators were a little difficult to see due to the bright sunlight but were still working and could be seen.  The air temp topped out at 110F and I'm sure the black metal gear was much hotter than that as it was in direct sunlight.

Then again, I guess LCDs don't generate their own light so maybe when the sun is that bright it's hopeless, even if you shade them.  Anyone else ever have this problem?

Terry D.

• Members

MrKnobs wrote:

... the LCD displays on my guitar gear stopped working.  I have never had that happen before.  It wasn't just that I couldn't see them because it was so incredibly bright and there was sweat pouring down off my face constantly, even cupping my hand around them failed to make them visible.  My LED indicators were a little difficult to see due to the bright sunlight but were still working and could be seen.  The air temp topped out at 110F and I'm sure the black metal gear was much hotter than that as it was in direct sunlight.

Then again, I guess LCDs don't generate their own light so maybe when the sun is that bright it's hopeless, even if you shade them.  Anyone else ever have this problem?

Terry D.

I played an outdoor gig in the middle of July and it got so hot that my iPad overheated to the point where you could fry a freaking egg on it. Needless to say, it stopped working and I had zero control over my mixer until it could cool down enough to reboot, sign into my network, and go back to playing nice with my DL1608.

Obviously after that I moved my mic stand a little into the shade so that the iPad clipped to it didn't overheat again that afternoon. lol

• Members

There are plenty of Digital desk people complaining they can not see displays, and functions during the day outside.

110 degrees and direct sunlight is not good for any audio gear period, and finding some shading alternatives is probably a good idea.

The reflectors people put in their car winshields work wonderful for reflection, and shading.

You can use your ingenuity on application.

• Members

I do a few outdoor concerts in July and August. Often right around noon. Even in Vancouver, noon in July can get pretty hot if there isn't any cover. I use an old funky Yorkville mixer and two Unity U15's for FOH. For my guitar gear I use my low pro Boss pedals and a simple tube amp.

All the fancy stuff with LCD's, and my powered speakers stay at home. I don't normally bring my MixWiz either(although it does fine in the sun) because then I'd have to bring processing and an amp rack. So far I haven't had a problem with heat, although I do bring a back-up powered mixer just in case.

It's still hard to see the guitar pedals though - the sunglasses trick notwithstanding.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We played a gig (actually many) where the LCD on my pod looked like it was running.

All of our ipads went into thermal protect mode (I didnt even know they did that)

another gig the plastic coating on our mixer rack...um melted?

Basically its the stuff you put on with a heat gun...and the sun basially heat gunned it.  Now it has wrinkles.

• Members

I should be a Beta tester, have lived in Tucson for 20 years and experienced my share

of outdoor summer gigs.  Fans always a plus, shade ditto, you get a sense of what gear

is bulletproof versus disaster.  Key thing is to have spares just in case . . . .

• Members

I have done a lot of these shows, some without help. My 01v96's can suffer the same problem in direct sunlight. I fashioned a small carboard tent-like structure that sits over the board's display which works unless the sun gets behind you. I also count more on my laptop during these shows since the display is brighter and larger. Here are my rules for summer shows in extreme heat and humidity (outs are often 100

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

I have done a lot of these shows, some without help. My 01v96's can suffer the same problem in direct sunlight. I fashioned a small carboard tent-like structure that sits over the board's display which works unless the sun gets behind you. I also count more on my laptop during these shows since the display is brighter and larger. Here are my rules for summer shows in extreme heat and humidity (outs are often 100

Archived