Foldback Speakers

• Members

I've been contemplating whether its worth buying dedicated foldback speakers. I currently use Electrovoice Sx300s or ZX3s for foldback - I bought these for their utility as an all-purpose box but I seldom if ever use them for anything other than foldback duty.

I have the opportunity to buy another pair of Zx3s for a fair price but I am wondering if its time to bite the bullet and go for some dedicated foldback speakers. The ZX3s are nice sounding boxes but their shape makes them awkward to pack in a small van.

What are your thoughts? What are the advantages? What is the best foldback for a small operator?

Thanks

• CMS Author

Many of the later generation of 10", 12", and 15" powered speakers have boxes that work as FOH or foldback wedges. Lot's of good choices out there.

I think it's a great idea to use all the same boxes for FOH and monitoring, for any small to medium system. Scaleability is nice, and it's generally easier to deal with the failure of a unit.

• Members

My main objections to most all powered speakers as monitors are that the controls and cables are on the back visable to the audience (fugly IMO), they have controls you have to set/verify every gig, you have to run a separate power cord to every one, and that they are high profile. BTW the RCF I linked to has the connections on the side and has a pass-thru powercon for daisy-chaining them thumb.gif cool.gif.

Archived