Venue owners

• Members

Ever been working at a venue where the management just does weird crap that makes no sense?

I got to the venue today for what should have been an easy, routine gig. I found out they had a wedding in the venue and tore down the entire PA. They attempted to put it back together without much success. We had to spend two hours re-patching the amps, speakers and checking the rigging. Management was upset but agreed to our labour charge that we added atop our usual fee.

We kind of expect this kind of shenanigans since this venue in particular is owned by a bunch of people who have zero idea what they're doing, but c'mon geez.

Also there were a couple young DJ's who were doing the break and after-show music. They were nice guys but incredibly annoying, which made our job of fixing the PA go a little slower. The one guy decided he was going to start toying with my light console and eventually my audio console. I politely told him not to touch my stuff. He apologized and left the mix booth, but geez. who does that?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Once we played a wedding and got off stage after an encore because they still wanted "one more song."

Turned everything down etc and maybe unplugged some stuff

When we came bacck to the stage they had a lighting cord run into the mixer and said "I thikn we fixed it it should be working"

lesson learned

• Members

I worked with a band at a club I hadn't been to before out of town.  We showed up at 1pm, talked to the owner, setup the pa and sound checked.  We were outta there by 4 and told the owner we would be back at 8:30 since the show was starting at 10.  All was well.  We show up at 8:30 and all the mains are gone.  amp rack has been unplugged and moved, mixer and FOH rack are gone, just the end of the snake laying against the wall.  HOLY ****.......  I was freaking the **** out.

The owner walks over and says " I had to move the stuff so we could have poker night.  It'll be over at 9;30 and you can move the stuff back in from the patio and hook it back up. That shouldn't take more than 30 minutes".   I almost lost it.  I stayed calm but told the guy that I wanted some extra cash for having to set this **** up twice.  He said no.   I then informed him that if he didn't cough up the cash that the stuff would be moved to the van instead of back into the club.  Then the band leader said that we wanted all the gig money, in cashola green, as well as the extra cash before we would bring the stuff back in.  He coughed up the dough, bitched the whole time. But in the end he had the highest bar sales night he'd had in a few years.  The place was packed the entire night.

• Members

yea. I think if youve put in any years in this business you'll run across some weird crap at gigs. 

I've come back after setup only to find a DJ blasting tunes through my system. 

yea, systems moved. 

Last summer i did a 24 hour relay for life and the organizer tied a zillion balloons to the handle of my top cabs that were on tripods. Of course they pulled the speaker pointing straight back at the act when a little breeze came up. 

I love it when they spring some "by the way" on you too. Like a whole other band shows up...in addition to the only one on the bill and advance for the gig.

I showed up to a Cinco De Mayo huge gig last year the day before at about 5 pm to set up my stage, stacks and racks and FOH. There was going to be overnight security. When I drive up there is a 6 piece latin band in suits on the curb with instruments. They ask if I'll be their soundman for their set at 6:00. I say, nope,  the concert is only for Saturday, not Quatro De Mayo! The organizer forgot to tell me they added a whole other day. We already had signed contracts, advances, band riders, et all for the saturday and just expected me to add another day. And I told her, "see you around 4 or 5 friday"

Not exactly a club but one other story:

a semi famous surf band with a couple hits calls and wants to "try me out" for their 1000 person gig at a park..really low money. I tell them at this point I don't need to audition, but if they picked up half my gear, my Honda Element was loaded from another gig so i did it. Terrible gig. Hot, poor band. Anyhow, after the concert they all say good job and ask how soon will I be ready to go. I said about an hour and a half since it was just me. I broke down the stuff they helped bring, and the bandmember who brought it said he'd meet me at my house and wait. He left. When I got home he had unloaded my gear on my driveway near the street and left it out there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Funny ironic twist to my surf band story. I got a call from them last week. They had a really important high end gig yesterday and needed someone who could set up and mix for a couple thousand people event.. Very little set up time, line check only. Everyone they asked suggested me. Hah! Named my price. Beautiful day, everything went flawless. Funny how some things come back around. The band was very nice this time

---------------------------------

I like to think I do a decent job. Emerge bands and the clients are always happy. I like compliments about how I was better than the last few guys they had in other places. It makes them appreciate the decent job I do.

:)

• Members

Being as last weekend was fall back weekend, here's my venue owner's story concerning:

Our band was playing a venue during the fall back Saturday/Sunday... we played our contracted 9:00pm - 1:00am gig... and delivered the goods.  At approx. 1:10pm we finished up our last song of the night, where-upon the venue owner informed us that we owed him another hour as it was now only 12:10am.  He was technically correct... so we played another hour... for the same pay (turned out to be a 5 hour show).

6 months later we happened to be at the same venue... and at 1:00pm (after a 3 hour show, because we were again contracted to play from 9:00 to 1:00) we played "last song"... the venue owner went ballistic... "hey, hey, hey... you're suppose to play 4 hours... I don't care what time it is... forget that 9:00 to 1:00 bs... you're not going to play that game... you're playing 4 hours or you're not getting paid."

We played 4 hours, and again delivered the goods.  eh... what the heck... we came to play, and the next time we came to play it was at double our previous rate... the venue owner choked on the price but paid it as we did deliver the goods, time and time again at that improved price.

eh? showbiz...

• Members

Being as last weekend was fall back weekend, here's my venue owner's story concerning:

Our band was playing a venue during the fall back Saturday/Sunday... we played our contracted 9:00pm - 1:00am gig... and delivered the goods. At approx. 1:10pm we finished up our last song of the night, where-upon the venue owner informed us that we owed him another hour as it was now only 12:10am. He was technically correct... so we played another hour... for the same pay (turned out to be a 5 hour show).

6 months later we happened to be at the same venue... and at 1:00pm (after a 3 hour show, because we were again contracted to play from 9:00 to 1:00) we played "last song"... the venue owner went ballistic... "hey, hey, hey... you're suppose to play 4 hours... I don't care what time it is... forget that 9:00 to 1:00 bs... you're not going to play that game... you're playing 4 hours or you're not getting paid."

We played 4 hours, and again delivered the goods. eh... what the heck... we came to play, and the next time we came to play it was at double our previous rate... the venue owner choked on the price but paid it as we did deliver the goods, time and time again at that improved price.

-------------------------------

Good for you. **** that guy.

Archived