PA system Questions

• Members

Good evening -- I am new to the PA system thing -- 

Question I have a Yorkville MP6 d PA system with a MTX P 15H Speakers 

I really like the PA system and wanted to get smaller speakers since the MTX are huge 

Can I used powered speakers even though I have a powered PA system 

Any help would be greatly appreciated    Thanks 

http://archive.mtx.com/proaudio/tSeries.cfm

http://stjoemusic.com/mp6d2.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19766828429&utm_content=pla

• Members

I would read Yorkvilles manual carefully: section 5 Main Line Out and section 6 Monitor Line Out.

http://yorkville.com/downloads/ownersman/om_mp6d.pdf

The outputs at the rear of your powered mixer have amplified signal and you do not connect them to a powered speaker or power amp.

You would use the Main line out on the (or possibly Monitor Line out) front of the mixer to a line in jack on a powered speaker or power amp. Also, read the manual of your new powered speaker, (or possibly power amp)

• Members

To expand on the comment above, a typical situation would have you would plug one powered speaker into the front of the mixer in the "main line out" jack with a good-quality instrument cable, as short as practical, then plug the two powered speakers together with a microphone cord through the "link" ports.

A less typical situation, but one you may want to consider, is mentally flipping the "monitor" and "main" functions of this mixer. Plug your new powered speakers into the "monitor line out jack", keep your old speakers plugged into the back of the mixer, and use them as monitors.

• Members

Can you please explain, (or should I say pretty please) why you want to go powered. It's not a bad idea, but I would like to get your perspective and reasoning behind going powered. Perhaps you already have powered speakers on hand, or something picked out?

To answer your question, use the main out on your mixer front. Don't use the monitor out for FOH because AFAIK you won't be able to use the Graphic EQ and FX on your mixer.

BTW if you really want to go powered speakers, a good solution would be to trade in your mixer on a passive mixer that was designed to work with powered speakers and/or dedicated power amps.

• Members

Craig Vecchione wrote:

Powered speakers are a good way to go. But using them with a powered mixer is less than ideal, since the mixer's amp(s) are wasted.

You might want to consider selling off the lot and getting a pair of powered speakers and a small passive mixer. An Allen&Heath ZED10FX sells for $300 new.

Powered mixers are great for low output monitors= back up PA.

Archived