12" vs 15" for tops

• Members

So here's my situation. 

I've got a rig that I use for DJing and some light live sound gigs. Rig is outlined below. I'm upgrading my two PV115 speakers into JBL STX speakers and a sub and I'm interested in getting input on getting the 12" or 15" tops. Thanks! 

Setup:

Denon MC-6000 Mixer

DBX 231 Graphic EQ

Driverack PA +

Crown Xti 6002 for mains

Crown Xti 4002 mono bridge for sub

• Members

Art Flood wrote:

The general advice here is you don't need 15" tops with subs. There are lots of posts here on this subject - so try using the search function.

Cheers

If that is the general advice here then it is wrong, as are most generalizations about speakers.  There are many who prefer the improved low-mid performance of a 15".  Your choice should be determined by many factors including what subs you use, crossover point, type of music, personal taste, etc. - not group think! 

• Members

Quote from Wikapedia:

The voiced speech of a typical adult male will have a fundamental frequency from 85 to 180 Hz, and that of a typical adult female from 165 to 255 Hz.

Could someone please explain to me why they think a 12" speaker will have an advantage over a 15" in "vocal clarity and projection" or "articulation"?   I mean real, factual reasons, not internet forum hear-say.  Of course the human voice has over tones but that's why vocal monitors have high frequency drivers, and a 12" speaker offers no advantage handling the frequencies up to the crossover point on any well designed system.

• Members

While the fundamental might be that low, there may be 2 or 3 times that amount in harmonics, and when they are talking fundamental they are talking about a bass voice which is not what most of us have to deal with.

When designing a speaker product, often the trade offs made in a 15" driver may be at odds with smooth midrange performance. It doesn't have to be but budget makes this more likely. 2" exit hf drivers and horns have their own issues, and 15" drivers may not have an acceptable polar pattern for use with 1". Everything is a compromise.

Archived