WARNING! - SL REMOTE ON IOS 7 NOT WORKING

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's surely not Apple's fault. iOS 7 has been available to developers for some time now. Them Presonus guys must have been sitting around with their heads up their arses instead of testing and fixing their app freak.gif. The Mackie DL1608 apps are fine under iOS 7 and a minor bug in MyFader when run on an iPad has even gone away smile.gif.

• Members

I'm certainly a registered Presonus user and I did not get any notification.  I also have 30+ other apps on my iPad including Studio Six Audio Tools and even the LS9 app and everything else works just fine.  I really didn't think to go through them all one at a time and check with their support pages to see if the upgrade would hurt.  Say what you will of Apple (and I'm not much of a fan myself) but they give their developers plenty of notice of pending upgrades.  It seems that Presonus really dropped the ball on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

dbMontana wrote:

Just a FYI for Studio LIve users.  I have installed IOS 7 and it does make the SL Remote iPad app essentially unuseable.  For a company that is so totally tied into the Apple mindset this is a pretty disturbing oversight not to have tested beforehand.

You updated the operating system on a mission critcal device the week of the OS release, and it's PreSonus that was short-sighted? Really?

Computers and computing devices can make excellent live performance tools, IF you follow the proper safety measures... not the least of which is never updating SW unless you abolutely have to. The only time you should ever update the SW is if you are experiencing a stability problem that the new release specifically address, if a new feature becomes available that is critical to the tool's primary function, of if a mission critical piece of SW will no longer work with the previous OS version. And even in these cases, you should wait until on major release updates until they have a chance to be vetted out.

• CMS Author

Mutha Goose wrote:

dbMontana wrote:

Just a FYI for Studio LIve users.  I have installed IOS 7 and it does make the SL Remote iPad app essentially unuseable.  For a company that is so totally tied into the Apple mindset this is a pretty disturbing oversight not to have tested beforehand.
WARNING! - SL REMOTE ON IOS 7 NOT WORKING

You updated the operating system on a mission critcal device the week of the OS release, and it's PreSonus that was short-sighted? Really?

Computers and computing devices can make excellent live performance tools, IF you follow the proper safety measures... not the least of which is never updating SW unless you abolutely have to. The only time you should ever update the SW is if you are experiencing a stability problem that the new release specifically address, if a new feature becomes available that is critical to the tool's primary function, of if a mission critical piece of SW will no longer work with the previous OS version. And even in these cases, you should wait until on major release updates until they have a chance to be vetted out.

Yes, Presonus dropped the ball. They, as an iDevice developer had planty of notice that iOS 7 was coming. It's their job to test that their applications will work on the new OS. It certainly isn't possible for the user to do comprehensive system testing.

I agree that as a user it is not necessary or even advisable to upgrade immediately. But if you haven't seen anything from Presonus that should mean there isn't a problem. When a mfg. ties their product to another product from another manufacturer, they assume responsibility for compatibility with that product. Again, I've been in IT for over two decades, and it's a big responsibility and a lot of work to integrate your software with various OS's. Presonus dropped the ball big time here. It's not something I would take lightly as a product owner, and I'd give them hell for this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Craig, that I agree with. Communication in times of trouble is crucially important to the success of a business today. They could have done better in this respect, but they solved the issue very quickly, so I'm not sure why they are so deserving of scorn.

• Members

Not to pile on anyone -- just to document the timeline:

9/19 -- Presonus forum acknowledges the issue and changes their online documentation,

9/24 -- My original post here noting the issue after I upgraded to IOS 7 (note it's five days after Presonus acknowledged the issue in their forum but I received no warning/communication whatsoever)

10/3 -- Presonus posts to their forum that the fix has been submitted to Apple for release,

10/8 -- Apple releases the Presonus fix (three business days after it was submitted),

10/8 -- I reported back here that the update fixed the issue.

So I'll let others decide if fourteen days for Presonus to submit a fix to Apple is acceptable -- I can say without a shadow of doubt it would absolutely NOT be acceptable at my day job.  Likewise I'll leave the "Apple is evil" discussion to others as well -- I do truly sympathize with that notion but I'm a Linux guy myself so for me Microsoft ain't all that wonderful either and I actually wore out the battery door latch on my previous Mororola-Android phone rebooting it several times a day so.....

Bottom line though is that Presonus certainly could have been more proactive about communicating the issue which would have prevented (at least minimized) much of the vehement animosity directed their way.

• CMS Author

Gregidon wrote:

Craig, that I agree with. Communication in times of trouble is crucially important to the success of a business today. They could have done better in this respect, but they solved the issue very quickly, so I'm not sure why they are so deserving of scorn.

It's not scorn at all, it's simply stating where they dropped the ball and what they could do to improve their response to a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a late adopter. I didn't update my SL OS for quite awhile. Things like SMAART, delays on the aux's looked pretty good from a distance. It wasn't until I got closer to a Prom gig in our local arena that would use delay speakers, that I updates.

I'm still sitting out on iOS 7.x. It looks like they dummy's down the palette etc so it looks more like an android.

No thanks. Might end up buying a new iPad 3 or 4 that doesn't have the new iOS yet.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I'm a late adopter. I didn't update my SL OS for quite awhile. Things like SMAART, delays on the aux's looked pretty good from a distance. It wasn't until I got closer to a Prom gig in our local arena that would use delay speakers, that I updates.

I'm still sitting out on iOS 7.x. It looks like they dummy's down the palette etc so it looks more like an android.

No thanks. Might end up buying a new iPad 3 or 4 that doesn't have the new iOS yet.

Strat! Howdy, what is the old OS called anyway?

Archived