Which roadcase for Mackie Onyx 24-4??

• Members

no, no, no. It needs MUCH better protection than this product offers IMO.

How about a whole role of bubble wrap and some duct tape? LOL, yes, I saw someone do that since they could spend the money on a mixer but not on a case. 3 weeks after he got it a road case with the bassists head in it fell in the trailer and smashed it.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

The RoadReady case arrived last night. VERY nice, it looks like I could probably jump on it without damaging the mixer. Thanks for helping me make this recommendation to purchase.

There is a thick black plastic sheet on the outside of the plywood, high-density foam rubber on the inside, metal edges, and metal ball corners. As I mentioned previously (migration has been eating posts - at least two of mine in this thread are missing!) the Road Ready cases are all 3/8" ply according to the sales rep I spoke with.

Do any of you pros set up your mixers in the case bottoms for throw-and-go shows? Some of my friends do. I noticed that you can't really do that with this one.

Wes

• Members

Interesting. This one just does not have enough clearance for TRS cables to plug into the aux sends. They are right at the bottom of the board. Unless I prop the board up on the foam and move it back an inch and a half.

Check out the send below channel 17. That's a Neutrik TRS plug.

I suppose the other option is to change my TRS cables to use L-shaped plugs at the board end for anything plugging into the bottom row.

• Members

Are there significant benefits to leaving the mixers in their trays? To me, it looks slightly less accident-prone and faster to setup, but not that big a deal. I put the mixer on a high-quality Z-stand that I originally purchased for a 71 lbs piano. This is a relatively big mixer, it fits the stand very well.

• Members
Interesting. This one just does not have enough clearance for TRS cables to plug into the aux sends. They are right at the bottom of the board. Unless I prop the board up on the foam and move it back an inch and a half.
Yah, I've had to do that with some mixer/case combinations. No big deal IMO.

• Members

200 lbs mixer...yikes, now there's something I had not considered! The largest mixer I ever used was a Yamaha 32 channel, 10 bus unit (GA32?) that weighed around 80 lbs and was about 4 feet wide. The road case for THAT mixer was great, it had wheels on the narrow edge (about 12" wide) so you could wheel it to the table, lift it up with two guys, and pull the lid off.

This Mackie is big for a bar band (we need a lot of channels in large rooms) but it's still an easy lift!

Archived