Advancing another sound company's gig???

• Members

Here's a new one, something that got my hackles up...

A local show with a couple of solo acts from a headliner band, a couple of simple local acts coming through for a benefit show. I am providing audio in-house turnkey. Another local sound guy who sometimes works with one of the local duos advances this show WITH THE HEADLINER and then telling ME how it's going to go down with his duo act who has been asked to simplify due to issues the previous year.

Am I out of line thinking this guy has balls as big as an elephant coming in and stepping all over my toes? I have no idea what he told the headliner's guys about how the gig is set up, what he promised on my behalf, and how I am going to get control back without some ball busting of my own. 

So, how pissed should I be? 

• Members

I'd call a meet with the headliner. Advance the job as normal with the headliner. If the headliner balks at the meet tell him it's required in order to provide for the gig properly.

If non cooperation ensues go directly to the promoter.

Bypass the little twit that advanced the job in the first place. You can not be held accountable for provisions on the gig via a 3rd party that doesn't work for you or represent you.

Get in front of it or you will wind up on the  "I said, you said, he said, and we all disagree" merry go round.

My $.02

• CMS Author

agedhorse wrote:

Here's a new one, something that got my hackles up...

A local show with a couple of solo acts from a headliner band, a couple of simple local acts coming through for a benefit show. I am providing audio in-house turnkey. Another local sound guy who sometimes works with one of the local duos advances this show WITH THE HEADLINER and then telling ME how it's going to go down with his duo act who has been asked to simplify due to issues the previous year.

Am I out of line thinking this guy has balls as big as an elephant coming in and stepping all over my toes? I have no idea what he told the headliner's guys about how the gig is set up, what he promised on my behalf, and how I am going to get control back without some ball busting of my own. 

So, how pissed should I be? 

In business it's out of line for anyone to tell anyone else how it's gonna be. The client states needs, and the vendor states the ability to meet them. Business is supposed to be cooperative. This guy is using imagined power through association with a headliner to act out his little power fantasy.

I'd go completely around him and deal with anyone else who's reasonable. If everyone is like him, well, you know what to do.

• Members

is this guy the sound guy for the headliner too?  if he's just a selfish guy looking out for his own act because he thinks it's the end-all gig I would politely tell him how it's going to go, and that he no longer can advance the gig. A duo! If he's the house engineer for all the acts he has some rights to know how things will go, but not dictate them. 

• Members

To my mind, this would be like the wedding DJ telling the hotel that he's talked to the wedding planner, and the hotel has to change the menu because he the DJ, doesn't like salmon!

The local act had zero biz advancing the gig with the headliner - zero. They can only advance the gig with the promoter and tech in charge of the event. And if this guy was acting like he was the tech in charge and was finding out what the headliner's needs were - that's even worse.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

The local act had zero biz advancing the gig with the headliner - zero. They can only advance the gig with the promoter and tech in charge of the event. And if this guy was acting like he was the tech in charge and was finding out what the headliner's needs were - that's even worse.

This is accurate, which is why I got pissed. He may have been trying to end run to get the gig for the company he works for. Even more slimy

Archived