Behringer purchases Turbosound

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow... Not unexpected that they were going to make a purchase of a high-end speaker company.... but Turbosound? Didn't see them being the ones! 2 years from now, we'll likely see the first products come out from their collaboration. Things are getting interesting.

• Members

Regardless of who is doing the buying, it doesn't take long before committees, focus groups, and accounting departments begin to make the decisions that were formerly made by people more interested in product than profit. This usually leads to less innovation in the end.

• CMS Author

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Regardless of who is doing the buying, it doesn't take long before committees, focus groups, and accounting departments begin to make the decisions that were formerly made by people more interested in product than profit. This usually leads to less innovation in the end.

We'll just have to wait and see. Occassionally this is a good thing for the purchased company, but that's rare and becoming more rare. It usually turns out as you described. Look what LOUD has done "for" (to?) Ampeg, for example.

• Members

I always encourage young folks to learn Mandarin so they can get a decent job working for our overlords. The inevitable outcome of deficit spending is that our creditors will soon own everything we had of value :facepalm: .

Turbosound always struck me as similar to Midas in that they both had great products that didn't sell well enough to maintain them as viable Independent companies.

BTW OT : at least great musicianship is not dead - check this out, watching it now :) :

• Members

i am beginning to see that chinese are really taking over; i consider behringer a chinese company even if it has original ties to germany. there megafactory is in china.

this is actually a little scary.

Back in the late 70's there was the same concern with regards to Japan. Their cheap labor had them flush with cash and they were buying up everything in sight. Then, over time, they weren't the cheapest labor anymore and the party was over. It will happen to China as well. It's just a matter of time. Fortunately for Japan, they developed quite a knack for innovation during their rise, and it has helped them in the aftermath. China's "innovations" have mainly been in the field of copying others designs and processes. They'll have to do better than that to remain viable after the next wave of cheaper labor (wherever it may come from) dilutes their current advantage.

• Members

Back in the late 70's there was the same concern with regards to Japan.

Yep. I think I still have a copy of a book I bought in the early 90s describing how Japan would take over America due to their economic power over us which would eventually lead to a revived military power, etc. Made a lot of sense at the time. It's laughable now, of course.

• Members

Behringer has owned Midas for a while. This is just so they can have big names like Midas and Turbosound available at GC prices via rebadging Chinese made products. I woudn't be surprised if the Behringer Pro audio line disappears soon afterwards.

• Members

Wow... Not unexpected that they were going to make a purchase of a high-end speaker company.... but Turbosound? Didn't see them being the ones! 2 years from now, we'll likely see the first products come out from their collaboration. Things are getting interesting.

+1

The Behringer Superstore coming to a outlet mall near you.

• Members

Well at least I'll finally get to see some Turbosound gear out here in the Pacific Northwest :D And I imagine Behringer will give Turbosound a much needed infusion of cash to revamp their product line. All I do is lurk in the forums where the big boys play, but I sure don't hear a lot of clamoring for new Turbosound gear in any of the "pro" forums these days.

There's the distinct possibility that the deal was perhaps more sought after by Turbosound than Behringer.

• Members

Counting down to Megathread time
:D

ULI FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Saves businesses, creates jobs, never goes on vacation, and has nothing to do with making weapons of mass destruction... maybe just a little

• Members

Back in the late 70's there was the same concern with regards to Japan. Their cheap labor had them flush with cash and they were buying up everything in sight. Then, over time, they weren't the cheapest labor anymore and the party was over. It will happen to China as well. It's just a matter of time. Fortunately for Japan, they developed quite a knack for innovation during their rise, and it has helped them in the aftermath. China's "innovations" have mainly been in the field of copying others designs and processes. They'll have to do better than that to remain viable after the next wave of cheaper labor (wherever it may come from) dilutes their current advantage.

My dad tried to convince me to go to Willamette in Oregon for college because they had the best Japanese language program in the country. Thank god I didn't listen.

• Members

The Music Group is now overseeing the operations of Turbosound. AKA, Uli and his Chair/Board has bought the Turbosound Stock/Shares from the Proel.

You'll see some Turbosound technology trickle down, but Turbosound will still be what they are.

• Members

And I imagine Behringer will give Turbosound a much needed infusion of cash to revamp their product line. All I do is lurk in the forums where the big boys play, but I sure don't hear a lot of clamoring for new Turbosound gear in any of the "pro" forums these days.

Didin't a lot of the founding talent at Turbosound jump ship to form Funktion-one during earlier rounds of ownership changes in the 90s?

Archived