Clearance on EV Mt4

• Members

The Good the bad or the ugly?

Local production company says they have 70 of them and want to sell. She was stating

$200.00 each. Only reason I would get them (DJ) would be for big shows outdoors. She did state amps as well but didn't know the models, going to get a fax list tommorrow of everything for sale.

I cannot find many resources on these speakers online? Thanks.

• Members

Aren't they massive boxes? I know they used to sell for quite a bit but they're very old. I'm guessing they're in a similar situation as the old Meyer stuff like the original UPAs, they don't go for much anymore because nobody wants to move them.

• Members

I've used them before, great box, lots of output, pretty good LF extension with processing, heavy as hell, big, deep, and originally used EVM-18B drivers which folks beat the {censored} out of so most are in pretty poor shape when used without proper protective processing and especially HPF. I have reco9ned many, many drivers used in this application.

There were some folks who tried other drivers such as the newer DL-18B and EVX but (and this is going from foggy memory) there are clearance issues due to frame depth... it's not an easy or even possible changeout and there may have been a modified backet available in later incarnations.

Buyer beware.

• Members

Yikes. Stupidly heavy. I heard a couple different rigs with those back in the day. A buddy of mine had 16 of the tops and bottoms and used them for outdoor shows. Extremely loud, good throw but not much under 50hz from em, but he didn't any processing on em outside of the crossover. I'm sure they kept legions of chiropractors in work.

• Members

It only weighs 16 lbs more than a KF850 and they have to go ON TOP! Hasn't stopped folks from buying them.

If I had an install, I would buy a ton of them for that price. (In fact just over a ton of them would only be 8.)

My trailer would not like me any more.

• Members

Aren't they massive boxes? I know they used to sell for quite a bit but they're very old. I'm guessing they're in a similar situation as the old Meyer stuff like the original UPAs, they don't go for much anymore because nobody wants to move them.

I still like the UPAs. Even at 70lbs a box, they are so compact, very easy for one person to throw up.

• Members

It'd be a 4 person lift for sure no matter how much they weigh. If I had an install I'd love to have 4ea, it would absolutely rock. But there is a TON of older gear coming off their service life and getting sold hella cheap. Amplifying it isn't easy either: the MTL4 is basically 2 dual 18's, 1 PLX3402 per box in parallel mode. The tops are triamp only IIRC, not power hogs but that's 3ch of amp @ 4ohms per box. Already you're into 5ch of amps and a quad crossover/processor. Maybe they have racks of P3000s for them too.

• Members

You guys want to see the list?

I'm not up this high end gear so from what it sounds like probably not a good investment if I need 18 more amplifiers. I will get the list tommorrow faxed over.

These were two other things she mentioned, believe these are consoles, it's just what I got over the phone and noted.

DTR 404 12 channel

BSS dpr 8 channel

Oh and she has Biance's (spelling) stage steps or something like that for sale....

But she has lot's of rack cases with wheels (call me wheels) and I need more protectivemoving gear, only 30 miles away so I'll drive out there and check it out.

• Members

I think you have some model numbers and products mixed up. I think they have multiple channels of BSS DPR available, those are compressors and may have some with de-essers. That would be a DPR-402, 404, 422 etc.

Unless you really know what you are doing and understand exactly how this gear works and what it is for, you can get yourself royally screwed buying something that costs more to maintain than to buy. You may not ever get an opportunity to operate it before it sinks you.

• Members

No sir not interested in any of this. :) Not applicable for what I do, and my fiance would kill me, have a wedding to save for.

Maybe some cases with wheels, yes. Or a spotlight if it's cheap, I do get calls to do comedian sound for a town nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've used them before, great box, lots of output, pretty good LF extension with processing, heavy as hell, big, deep, and originally used EVM-18B drivers which folks beat the {censored} out of so most are in pretty poor shape when used without proper protective processing and especially HPF. I have reco9ned many, many drivers used in this application.

There were some folks who tried other drivers such as the newer DL-18B and EVX but (and this is going from foggy memory) there are clearance issues due to frame depth... it's not an easy or even possible changeout and there may have been a modified backet available in later incarnations.

Buyer beware.

So IF a guy could get a pair of these for the right price that WORK and are FUNCTIONAL all a that guy would need to run these speakers would be two DBX 223's run in 3 way with 40 hz cut? and that guy had a Yamaha CP 2000, Crown XTI 4000 and a QSC 1450?

• Members

I saw a whole bunch of these on clearance a few years back. A lot of them ended up in the higher-end clubs in and around Toronto.

For $200 per I'd probably buy a pair just to keep in the garage.

• 9 months later...

Archived